Tuesday, June 11, 2013

FRIENDS


Friends come in all shapes and sizes. Some last forever and others stick around  for as long as needed to do whatever job they were sent to do.

All my life I have been blessed with great friends. Donna was my first friend. We met when I was six months old and she was an old lady of a year. We have been friends all our lives and are still close...if not physically, then spiritually and she is one of my sisters-in-love.

Sharon showed up when I was about seventeen. And stuck around. We don't look anything alike but our personalities are so close that I call her the Guv and she calls me Danny after the movie, The Twins. Another sister-in-love.

David and Maeshy, my two book ends...my brother and my brother-in-love...I couldn't live this lifetime without them. 

I left them and everyone behind when I moved to Israel. Not a simple thing. The world was much different in 1970...no phones in Israel...hardly TV...no internet, Skype...no nothing. Writing a letter home took at least a month round trip.

What a different world we live in today. When my oldest son went into the army, he would come home once a month for a weekend and every once in awhile we would get a phone call at six in the morning and could hear him shouting from a field phone his hellos and love and whatever it was possible for him to tell us about his life.

My daughter was the first in our family to get a cell phone. Wow how great that was! The Umbilical Cord was reconnected!!!

By the time my youngest was in the army, not only were there cell phones but the army distributed one to each new recruit!!!

I knew no one when I moved here and soon gathered a group of neighbours and friends who became my family. 

Israel is a country of immigrants and most of us left loved ones behind...some more than others, and we formed tight bonds. My neighbours were from Morocco and Kurdistan and Europe. I learned to cook from them. I make great stuff!!!

When the Yom Kippur War broke out we kept each other from falling apart. Women and children together keeping up a brave face and helping each other connect with families abroad.

Marianne, Rosaline, Evelyn, Sheila, RinaSavtaAmosi, Ruchaleh...how blessed I am to have you in my life. 

So, my friends...I thank you. New and old you have influenced and enriched my life so much and I am eternally grateful.

Hedy, my newest friend,  I hope you had a good trip home. It was a joy having you in the country!!! We miss you already!!!

Have a good day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.


2 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Hedy said...

I was reading through, and wondering if my name would be mentioned... was NOT disappointed... was NOT surprised, either! LOL! Was so weird not being able to pick up my borrowed cell phone to call you this morning... safely home now... miss the heck out of you and yours, my friend... my sister-in-love! Can't wait til we all get to meet again!!!! Huge hugs from this side of the pond!!!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiii hedy...missed your phone call these past couple of mornings!!! glad your trip was easy and you are home safe...ok quick come back!!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home