Saturday, June 03, 2006

This morning I woke up at 5:30 and ran to the computer. Then I realized the kid was back from his quest and sleeping safely in his own bed. The kid being my youngest who is twenty-three, tfu tfu tfu. And now I don't have to go check and see if he left an email or is online someplace where I can't even pronounce the name.

So, since I was up and awake anyway, I wrote a few emails and grabbed the book I was reading and went back to sleep.

Six months ago, my youngest son informed us that he was going to South America for four months...and maybe the western coast of the USA.

I said, 'That's nice'. Actually, I said, 'With the piranha and the nazis!?!' G-d help me, I really said that. Of all my three children, I never thought that he would be the one to go on a quest.

Surprise!!!

---I flashed back to the day thirty-seven years ago (oy thirty-seven years ago) when I informed my folks that I was leaving for Israel for a year. They had the good grace to let me go without feeling guilty or scared.

And those were the days without computers and cell phones. Those were the days when if you wanted to make a long distance phone call from Jerusalem you had to go to the main post office on Jaffa Road and book a call - usually around two in the morning and then stand in line and wait your turn.

No one had a phone. Well, that's not true. We were living in Macheneh Yehuda just off the shook and Yossi's mother had a phone. We had a TV. And no one had a washing machine. But that's another story :).

---So I told my son that I was thrilled for him and to have a wonderful time and to stay safe. Then, I had to practice not crying. I am an expert at that. I have a gold medal at not crying...a Ph.D.

See, I sent three children to the army - my son, my daughter and then Che Guevara, here. And I learned how not to cry until after the elevator doors were closed and they couldn't see. And you will all be proud of me, I made it in the airport and didn't fall apart until we were in the parking lot. Then my husband looked at me like I was a crazy woman. Men! What do they know about sending your baby into the wilds of South America? All he could think of was what a marvellous adventure the kid was going to have until he has to come back and start law school.

Yes, my kid was accepted to study law at Hebrew University. Now all I had to do was try to figure out how to keep him safe until he can put his tush in the chair and start studying.

Well, I've got to run. The guy from Ben Gurion airport just rang the buzzer. Iberia left New York an hour and a half late and they all missed their connection in Madrid. Luckily, El Al picked them up but their luggage stayed in Spain. There's a song there someplace. Anyhow I've got to go open the door for the suitcase man. Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the reasons why this pluckly Little country has survived and prospered in the face of terrible adversity. The bond between Israeli parents and their children is special and unique.

...and sometimes annoying, but there's no such thing as a parent that isn't a Little annoying.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the Luggage from the Plane Stays Mainly in Spain"----tra-la-la----yidy-biddy-bum-bum(inside joke)---great to see yet another outlet for your many talents
-from an old friend
ps: I could accompany you on the piano!!!

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine my excitement and grief when my daughter is grown and wants to set out on an adventure of her very own. I'm sure weeping and worrying go hand in hand with motherhood. Perspectives change. I remember thinking my mother was completely insane with unreasonable worry when I went off travelling. OK I get it now!! and just pray for her to encounter the kindest people and to be safe.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

no matter how old they are we still worry about them...our parents were very brave to let us go...and it was a different world out there...thanks so much for writing...stay safe...love, marallyn

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hahaha very very good...my dearest and oldest friend...thanks for getting the joke once again and for taking the time to write...stay safe...love, marallyn...ps...it's not my trunk :)

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful blog Mar.. I look forward to reading more about you and the family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home