Monday, June 26, 2006

One Not So Happy Family

Nineteen seventy-three. Summer. I was standing at a bus stop in Kiryat Ha Yovel, my neighbourhood at the time, waiting to take a bus downtown.

When the bus finally arrived at the stop, an elderly man announced, “Let the soldier go on first.”

I backed up and turned to look for the soldier.

It was then that I realized that the man was referring to my nine month old son in my arms.

My baby? A soldier?!?

When I agreed to marry my husband two thoughts flashed through my mind…one that yahoooo I was going to be a grandmother one day…and two that my own children would be soldiers.

Both sobering thoughts. (We’ll talk about the mystical/shmystical another time :))


My soldier/baby is now in his thirties and the father of my two sweetsie tootsies. But in all those years I never forgot the sound of that man’s voice at the bus stop or the panic I felt when I realized he was talking about my baby.

Yesterday the piranha attacked and I am praying with all my might they aren’t on a feeding frenzy. Dear G-d, please, please, please…

Hamas has taken one of our children. You see, in Israel every child belongs to each and every one of us. One womb, millions of parents. That’s how we are. One big happy family filled with love, and Jewish Mother Guilt, and two thousand years of worrying.

When we mention someone in our prayers to G-d we add the mother’s name.

Today I am asking you all to pray for Gilad ben Aviva, the IDF soldier taken hostage. That he comes back to us safe and sound.

Please, please God.

Hope you have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May Gilad be returned to his family and country-men unharmed. Many of us in America are praying for his safe return. Your comment about your young soldiers being the sons & daughters of all the Mother's in Israel is exactly the way many of us in the U.S. feel about our young soldiers. It broke our hearts to learn the news of their capture, torture and death by their brutal, savage and demonic captors. May the G-d of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob be with them and all of Israel.

Carol

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From pickles to pain, your writing always brings a tear to my eye, and does crazy things to my kishkas.
The Guv

 
At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We share the prayers and we share the pain, We are all the mothers of those brave soldiers

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog with great interest and many times with glee. I can hear
the joy in your words as if you were speaking with me and I can also hear
the pain. Keep it coming.

We are all praying for the safe return of Gilad Ben Aviva as well as the
young settler who was also recently kidnapped. These are such difficult
times (and when are they not difficult).

On a lighter note, yes I sure do understand the thick (ahem) and thin
syndrome.

Love to all

Neshie

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where to start...I've read a few of the latest mysehs...you have the weirdest ability to make me laugh (OUT LOUD)and cry, seconds later. I'm trying to figure out how to read the earlier ones...have faith...as your friend, I can't be a total dummy! Keep those letters coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home