Friday, June 16, 2006

Shmoozing in the Night

The other night I found myself wandering around the house at two in the morning. As usual, I had fallen asleep in front of the T.V. Don’t tell anyone but the old grey mar, she ain’t what she used to be. :)) and at two o’clock I had had enough sleep and was wide awake! Ratz!

So, I did what I usually do, I ran to the computer and checked my emails. And played a little scrabble. My friend Alex introduced me to a wonderful site where you play one move at a time directly from your email. http://www.thepixiepit.co.uk and now I’m playing four games with friends….one Israeli, one Canadian, one American, and one wonderful lady from Ireland.

Anyway, last night at two in the morning I played my next moves and the American was online. Now what I forgot to mention is that there is a little window underneath the scrabble board where you can leave a message. You know me, I can’t let an opportunity to chat go by, so I always drop a line or two as I play.

Well we played and chatted last night until nearly four in the morning, my time.

What a world we live in!!! What a change the computer has made in my life.

When I first moved to Israel, the cheapest way of communicating with family back home was to buy an airmail sheet at the post office. They came already stamped and after you wrote and wrote and wrote as much as you could squeeze on the page you folded it along the pre-marked lines. A little fold here, a little tuck there and then you licked the little tabs and voila you were ready to drop it into any mailbox you found along the way.

The only trouble was that it took two weeks for the letter to arrive and then another two weeks to get your answer. By that time who cared what you wrote??? No matter what the problem you were facing or the joy you wanted to share, it was already old news by the time you received your reply.

So I stopped writing.

(end of part one…my dear friend John, who set up this blog told me that it is customary for a blog to be around three hundred words...and that's where we are now...so...I hope you will tune in tomorrow to see what happens…in the meantime, have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home