Thursday, February 25, 2010

SO HOW DID THAT HAPPEN???

My kid...Joe College is moving out.
Now you must understand, he's only moving to Tel Aviv...not Alaska! But, still...he's moving out.

Don't get me wrong. I am thrilled he's moving out. He needs his life and I need mine. It's just that I am a 'nester' you see. As a sun sign Cancer, I nest...nurture...nudge...that kind of stuff.

It is time that all the chickens leave the nest. But, oh they were such wonderful, cute, amazing chickadees.

The other two are still in Jerusalem. I call occasionally. I see them occasionally...but somehow being in the same city makes them feel closer than the hour ride to Tel Aviv.

Sometimes with the traffic jams and the building THAT IS STILL GOING ON IN THE CITY for the light train it could take an hour to get from my place to theirs...but still.

Joe College is finished law school. Does that make him now My Son the Lawyer??? HMMMM...and he is starting his internship at Goldfarb...the second largest law firm in the country, on Sunday.

I want to pack him a lunch. I want to iron his shirt. I want to kiss him and watch as he makes his way down the street.

Pathetic, no? But you see, I've been conditioned. I've done that since he started kindergarten.

On the other hand...I no longer have to sit up wondering where he is and when he'll be coming home. I no longer have to cook this for him/ that for my husband/the other stuff for me.

So, now what am I going to do with all the money I save on groceries and all the extra time I have for myself???

I don't know. I'll probably keep on doing just what I do...cook, write, teach, meet my friends for coffee, talk to the babies, watch TV, read, plan my trip back to Canada and the States this summer.

And that sounds pretty damn good to me. What do you think?

Toodleedo, Joe College. Hello and have a great life MSTL (my son the lawyer).
Imma loves you!!!

Happy Purim!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

23 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Rosie said...

Cute...as always! (Rosie...formerly Caraqueña :) )

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Miriam Drori said...

Perhaps this will also give you time to post regularly on your blog?

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous John Little said...

Wow, another milestone. You never quite understand what it's like until you rush past it and say...

Whoa!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I was thinking about you the other day. Now that you will have all this extra time...... why don't you bless us with blogging on a regular basis and sharing your wisdom with us? :o)

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Mazel tov (do we say that for this?) on becoming empty-nesters! A new stage in your lives, and that of your son.
B'hatzlacha rabah to him. (and I guess to you too on dealing with this new phase)

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Doesn't that just make you proud that you can say "My son the lawyer". What good parents he had to nurture him on this road he is taking in life.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous lovey said...

DEAR MARALLYN,
YOU ARE A GREAT WRITER ......MORE IMPORTANT A GREAT PERSON.
LOVE AND KISSES, LOVEY DOVEY
ALBERTO AND I are hoping to go to COLOMBIA NEXT MONTH. I WILL GET TO MEET HIS FAMILY.
I DISCOVERED THAT I WON'T BE MISSING MUCH IF I DON'T KNOW SPANISH. FOR ME IT IS ALL ABOUT THE VIBES.
XOX

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous darlene said...

Nice...thanks and congratulations!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous guila said...

That’s terrific Mar – you have such a way with words!
xoxoGuila

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous dale said...

Hi Mar…
Mazal Tov on your son’s achievements….sounds wonderful. I wish him all the best.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous nancy said...

Mazal Tov on Nachumi. Wasn't he 10 years old yesterday? Have a great Purim! Love, Nancy

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous the guv said...

Incredibly sweet !

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous ada and moti said...

בשעה טובה והרבה הצלחה זה דרכו של עולם האפרוחים עוזבים את הקן ולכם הרבה נחת וחג פורים שמח מעדה ומוטי

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous marsha said...

Good morning Marallyn. I love receiving your emails. They are so much fun to read. Mazel-Tov on having “MSTL”. I’m sure you’re very proud of him.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous marlee said...

Good Morning here Maralynn
This sounds like your blog entry for the day – right? But such an important step in your life. Thanks for sharing – although now that I know you as a window watcher, I suspect you will be phoning Your Son the Lawyer and talking to him more often now that he has moved out than you did when he was home – at least for awhile. Good old habits are hard to break. Have a safe day.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous marcia said...

Mazel Tov. It's about time and I know he will rise to the top, just like a light matzo ball in a great chicken soup...

Don't think you'll get over it..You won't...Just fill in the space with things you love. I know.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous maryalice said...

You are a good mom!!!

Have a peaceful day!

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous karen said...

Mazel Tov, Mar. First that he is now a lawyer and secondly that you can come and go as you please.

Happy Purim to you too.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous donna m said...

Hi Marallyn!

I am in Florida as I read your post. It's a great post, and a great moment in your life. Tough, but great. Enjoy!

Donna

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous katherine said...

Hi Marallyn,
It's so nice to read your blog again. Have a happy day.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous tanti ruthi said...

I remember we picked him up at Nursery school when I was in Israel in l986--Mazeltov--all mmy LOVE--Tanti Ruth

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous roz said...

Hi Marallyn,

Mazel Tov on MSTL. Being one myself, and also MDTD and MSTB, it is a wonderful feeling to know that you can go to sleep when you want but as you already know very well, for some reason no matter what city they are in you just never stop wondering what are they doing? So start cooking whatever you want to eat and your husband will have to learn to like the same things us empty nester chefs eat, that's the ENC rule!Take care and we'll talk soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home