Friday, July 21, 2006

Another Shabbat in War-Torn Israel

Shabbat shalom. I think the best way to describe us right now is frazzled! All this constant listening to the radio and watching television can make you a nervous wreck...but what choice do we have? Not knowing is worse.

So we listen and we watch and we look around us and check the skies.

Our brave relatives up north are still in their shelters and safe rooms...I can't imagine how they are coping. How proud I am of their moxie!!! Tel Aviv is getting ready to be attacked...Jerusalem is on the lookout for suicide bombers.

When I lived in Windsor, I wasn't militant. I didn't raise my fist into the air and punch the sky...and I didn't hate. Well, except for Hitler, I didn't hate.

Now I do. They taught me. They? The arabs. They taught me to hate them and to wish them terrible things. See, I would love to be indifferent where the Arabs are concerned. I want to never think about them...worry about what they are plotting...what evil trick they have up their sleeve to surprise the world with next.

But they are plotting. And they are reproducing at a frightening rate. And they won't be happy until the entire world faces Mecca.

Since I am a Jew and proud of it, I don't think I am a good candidate for the Mecca thing. Actually I think if push comes to shove I will probably fail facing Mecca.

The day before yesterday we had a twenty second black out. All over the country. When the power came back it caused my computer to make a very funny burning smell and then die.

OY. I pulled out all the plugs. I danced a jig on one foot, but nothing helped. I was speechless in Jerusalem. Trust me...not a pretty sight.

But this time I didn't panic. First of all, I have a gmail account so I knew I could pick up all my mail from work. And Second of all, I have the book I am writing safely stored on one of those flashkey thingees.

You didn't know I was writing a book? See, as my friends say, 'I'm more than just a pretty face.'

When it gets quiet again I'll tell you about Emma Shelby is No More...that's the title of my novel.

In the meantime, I'm at work...listening to galei zahal, the radio station, two of our helicopters crashed last night...they are still sending over hundreds of rockets...Jerusalem is still on high alert, Tel Aviv isn't safe.

Nasrallah reminds me of Lord HAHA from the Second World War. All his blustering and boasting and threatening. Well, let me tell YOU something, Mister Nasrallah. We, in Israel boast the Original Cast. We, in Israel have faced bigger bullies than you and have come through, albeit limping sometimes, but we're still standing.

So, give us all you have and watch the pillar of fire protect G-d's Chosen People.

Shabbat shalom my friends.

Have a good day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

7 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my dear Marallyn,

Just to let you know that I am thinking and praying for all of you.


Love, Neshie

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, as I was reading your blog, all I could think of was this poem. Probably, one of my all time favourites and one that I am now sending off to you. I see both you, and your beloved country, in these lines.

Rudyard Kipling
If



If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Shabbat Shalom !

The Guv

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear guv...
i always said that 'if' is the biggest word in the english language...stay safe...shabbat shalom my dear friend

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jerusalem Blog:
Your insights and imagery are bull's eyes everytime. If and when the whole world realizes what you and I know to be too true, and what you articulate so perfectly, that the Arab/Muslim world wants to rule the whole world at any cost and not live in peace with others, then maybe we will all have a chance.
In the meantime Israel, once again is fighting all our battles.
Keep up the fight. We all have no other choice to destroy those who are trying to destroy us.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jerusalem Blog:
Your insights and imagery are bull's eyes everytime. If and when the whole world realizes what you and I know to be too true, and what you articulate so perfectly, that the Arab/Muslim world wants to rule the whole world at any cost and not live in peace with others, then maybe we will all have a chance.
In the meantime Israel, once again is fighting all our battles.
Keep up the fight. We all have no other choice to destroy those who are trying to destroy us.

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are safe and out of harms way. Sha 'Alu Shalom Yerushalayim

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your blog Mar..Hoping that you and your family are kept safe until this war ends

 

Post a Comment

<< Home