Wednesday, July 12, 2006

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER

A couple of weeks ago, my brother, Dovidle called to say he was coming for about ten days the end of December.

Yahoooooooo!!! Once a year we all try to get together and as much as I would love to get away for a couple of weeks and play tourist in the good old US of A and Canada, it just isn't possible. First of all I wouldn't leave Ma for that long and second she really doesn't feel like making the trip. At 83 tfu tfu tfu it is not so simple to cross the big water and hob nob with family and friends, no matter how much you would love to do so.

Then, my cousin Michael from Toronto emailed and he is coming with his wife and two daughters...at the same time.

Then, my brother Dovidle called to say that a very good friend is coming to Jerusalem for two and a half days and could I arrange for a hotel and a guide?

Of course, I said and then explained to him that it wouldn't be easy. We are talking about Christmas week here.

Do any of you remember Shelly Berman? And his record about wanting to go to New York to go to acting school? And his father said, 'Ok, I'll give you the money for a ticket. It'll be a Christmas present. But don't tell your mother I said the word Christmas. Because if you do, you won't be going on a plane to New York to acting school, you'll be going to Weinstein's Funeral Home in a coffin!'

Ahhhh, Shelly Berman. Where was I? Oh, yes. The Wise Men are all coming to Jerusalem on, ahem Chri...after Channukah!

So, Bubbie Channah decided to call in a cleaning person to spiffy up the place. She usually does it herself, and does a great job, but the windows needed washing and none of us can shlep them out of the frames.

I told her to go speak to Rami, the head of the Va'ad Bayit ( the housing committee) in her building and sure enough he had someone. Muhammed worked in the building and for cheap would be happy to come clean her flat.

Muhammed? Don't worry, he's a good guy and you can trust him with your stuff.

Ok.

In walks Muhammed, and Bubbie Channah called me a couple of hours later happy happy happy. The windows are clean, the floors are done, and the bathroom sparkles. All for 60 shekels. A bargain!!!

'You know, Marallyn, I asked him if he spe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home