Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Selling Fortunes to the Tourists

Don’t laugh. When I told everyone in 1970 that I was moving to Israel their first reaction was… ‘What? What are you going to do there?’

I don’t know what possessed me…sometimes the strangest things come out of my mouth…and without thinking I answered, ‘I’m going to rent a camel and sell fortunes to the tourists.’

That usually got the laugh it deserved and the truth is that I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do for a year in Israel. I just knew I had to get back.

My journey to the Promised Land went like this. Remember the trip to Greece, where I couldn’t get that close to Israel without popping in for a visit? And how I got off the plane and was immediately at home?

The first few months I studied Hebrew in the Ulpan. Actually, I was quite good at it and soon could understand and be understood. Then, I got a job in the bank as a teller. Great job! In the King David Hotel!!!...during the good old days, when Moshe Dayan, or Begin, or Sharon could be seen walking around on their way to grab a meal or sit in on an informal meeting in the coffee shop or dining room. Ah, the good old days.

Quickly moving ahead, I met my husband, got married and began having the kids. When my oldest two were starting school, I finally had some free time and that’s when I met Noah (not her real name). Noah lived up the street and was deep into astrology. I had started studying in Detroit but had to drop it when I moved here.

Astrology????? They have astrology in the Holy Land!!! Eureka!!! I met Ilan Pekker, then the top astrologer in the country, and soon began studying myself. Ah, my soul sang. Stars and planets and aspects and cusps consumed my thoughts with all the endless opportunities of limitless space. See, up till then my usual conversation with the neighbour ladies involved recipes and how they got their laundry so white. You get the picture.

After studying for a couple of years my friends began to nudge me…do me, do me…you know how it is…like having a doctor or dentist in the family.

I didn’t ‘do them’. I don’t do charts of people I know. But soon others started calling me and I began my life as marallyn the astrologer. My cousin Michael, the Rabbi, calls me the White Witch of Jerusalem :), nice no?

The first time I stood in line at the bank to deposit the money I had received from a client, I stopped and burst out laughing.

I didn’t rent a camel…but I was selling fortunes.:)))

Here is this week’s astrology from my column on the Jerusalem Post Online edition.

Have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in…

STARCATCHER
Astrology for the week of June 30, 2006
by Marallyn Ben Moshe


TIP FOR THE WEEK: Put your own needs first this week. There isn’t enough time in the day for you to take care of everyone else…so instead have a good time doing what makes you happy.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CANCER---WATER
JUNE 22-JULY 22
Money and finances are on your mind once again as you try to make some plans for the coming months - perhaps a trip abroad or some major renovations in your home. Whatever it is, start saving now. For weeks you are absorbing all the tension around you and the time has come for you to shake yourself free, be happy with who you are and what you have, and relax. HINT: Take some time each day to do something creative.

LEO---FIRE
JULY 23-AUGUST 22
You have so much on your mind and are so anxious to begin moving forward. Past obligations are still holding you back but don’t let this minor upset get you down. Finally you are definitely on the right track and all your hard work from the past is beginning to pay off. This is a good week for getting out and mingling both socially and professionally. HINT: Family always comes first but that doesn’t mean you have to worry about them 24/7. Do something special for yourself this week.

VIRGO---EARTH
AUGUST 23-SEPTEMBER 22
It is not enough that you are right…you also have to be aware of the other person’s needs before giving him advice. There is so much you have to do this week and not nearly enough hours in the day, so reach out to someone you trust and ask for help. A lot is going on behind the scenes and this is not the time for you to get involved. When asked, give your opinion and walk away. HINT: Wednesday and Thursday are great days for entertaining at home.

LIBRA---AIR
SEPTEMBER 23-OCTOBER 23
There is a lot going on in your life right now and you are not always sitting in the driver’s seat. Recognize what you can do and what you can change and learn to live with the rest. No sense in ruining your health by worrying about things the experts are taking care of. By the middle portion of this week you will begin making plans to be with family you haven’t seen in quite some time. HINT: Monday and Tuesday are days for pampering yourself. Don’t think about it, just do it.

SCORPIO---WATER
OCTOBER 24-NOVEMBER 21
You have got to learn how to make a schedule and stick to it. There are so many people who turn to you for help and advice that by the end of the day you are exhausted and rather frustrated. Once you establish workable borders most of the tension you are feeling will dissipate. In the meantime take a few days off to play and invite some of your best friends to join you. HINT: Don’t let your ego get in the way of making an important decision.

SAGITTARIUS---FIRE
NOVEMBER 22-DECEMBER 21
You are still trying to juggle too many things at once and end up feeling frustrated and angry. This is a good week for you to begin cutting back and resting a little more. There are only so many hours in the day and you know yourself that you have been burning the candle at both ends now for much too long. HINT: The time has come for you to put your personal relations back on the front burner and get out and party.

CAPRICORN---EARTH
DECEMBER 22-JANUARY 19
Finally after months of being exhausted, you are beginning to get some order back into your life. That doesn’t mean that you are satisfied, you will always be searching out new and better ways to improve your life and life style, but it does mean that you can sit back and enjoy a job well done. Time spent with a partner and/or mate is exactly what you need right now, so clear your desk and enjoy yourself. HINT: A conversation with a Cancer will put a smile back into your heart.

AQUARIUS---AIR
JANUARY 20-FEBRUARY 18
The time has come for you to stop being so serious and to relax and enjoy yourself a bit more. You are a wonderful friend and this week you will have the opportunity to do something really special for a person you love. Family is always close to your heart and you will have some extra time this week to just relax at home with them. HINT: Frustration at work can’t be ignored, but you can put some perspective on the situation and walk away.

PISCES---WATER
FEBRUARY 19-MARCH 20
You are always the first one to reach out and help those you love. This week is no exception. The best part is that you have a marvelous support system of friends surrounding you who only wish you happy days and peaceful nights. Take some time off this week to pamper yourself. It is true that money is a problem but even a single rose will bring you joy. HINT: A conversation with another water sign is just what you need this week.

ARIES---FIRE
MARCH 21-APRIL 19
Family business is keeping you very busy but the truth is that this time you really don’t mind. You know that you are the best person for the job and are happy to roll up your sleeves and lend a hand. In between work try to find a few hours each day to read, write, or just walk among the flowers. Friends far away miss you and are waiting to hear from you. Reach out…you won’t be sorry. HINT: Monday and Tuesday are good days for discussing your plans with your partner and/or mate.

TAURUS---EARTH
APRIL 20-MAY 20
You tend to overdo things this week and your motto has got to be ‘if I don’t need it then I’m not going to buy it’. Sorry, but unnecessary spending now will put a hole in your budget in the weeks to come. There is someone in your life who brings you joy and this is the perfect time for you to spend time together sharing and planning. HINT: Frustration at home cannot be avoided but your reaction to it certainly can.

GEMINI---AIR
MAY 21-JUNE 21
This is your week for fun and play. Forget that pile of papers on your desk…forget the load of laundry and/or dishes waiting for you. Get dressed, go out to your favorite restaurant and enjoy yourself. For much too long now you have been overworked and underappreciated. The fact is that everyone loves you and knows what a super job you are doing, so leave the guilt behind and party! HINT: Elderly members of your family appreciate all the time you spend with them.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You accomplished all else ( AND THEN SOME ) but, let's face it, a camel would definitely have given you a tad more panache. Do a personal reading. Consult the stars. Is it possible that, after all these years, it is finally time for you to go from bumped ( riding crowded buses ) to humped ?

The Guv

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL not sure what the Guv said there Mar but going from bumped to humped sounds a bit rude,but maybe that's cos I am Irish ;)
(I won't be offened if you choose not to publish this post)
Ess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home