Sunday, November 05, 2006

LIKE A LOOSE FLOORBOARD

I just got an email from my oldest friend Sydonia. We met when I was six months old. She was the 'older woman', being already a year old. The delicious part of this story is that for the past...er...lotsa decades, we have stayed great friends. She lives in the States and here I am in Jerusalem. But thanks to email, etc. communication is a daily joy.

Today she wrote 'the past is the past, but it is like that loose floorboard you never see but when you step on it always hits you in the face'!

I thought whoa, I can relate to that. Things you did because you had to do them; people you hurt without meaning to, who, nevertheless got hurt; loose ends that suddenly show up demanding attention.

The important part of the quote, in my opinion, is that you always get hit in the face. Right in the kisser. Can't ignore it. Nose bleeding. Seeing stars.

And you feel hurt and guilty and uncomfortable because you did what you had to do, and you did the best you could do under the circumstances.

Then you start blabbering and trying to explain yourself. The end result is you still feel bad.

Especially when the person pointing a finger at you is your now grown up kid. And they do. It's like they sort of have to clear the slate. Whammo. And they go back to approximately when the wheel was invented.

I raised my kids never to tell a lie. So instead I nearly had a heart attack a zillion times when they came to tell me the truth.

'That's nice honey, thanks for telling me.' And run for the Xanax.

We can handle our kids. Why? Because they love us. And they forgive us. And they turn into us.

But what are we going to tell our future generations? How come a politician automatically loses his conscience and sense of right and wrong the second his tush fits into that government seat?

And if he is the daddy and we are the mommy, don't we have an obligation to at least point out the mistake?

Because I can promise you, the kids are going to come home with all our faults and...yup, right in the face.

It is raining in Jerusalem. Yahooooooooooooo. So, I am off to make a pot of bean soup. Doesn't cold and rain feel like bean soup? I'm making enough...you're all welcome to join us.

Shavuah tov.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

I could not agree more, loose ends alway bite you in the butt eventually, nicely put

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

yup cheated...couldn't have said it better myself...stay safe my friend and thanks for dropping in

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Leann said...

yes getting hit in the face is the story of my life.ya do the best you can and it still ain,t good enough.you just do the best you are able and give the rest to the Lord.no one but the Lord lived a perfect life.thank God for his son.or I would be in deep doo.have a nice day Marallyn Ill be there for bean soup in the spirit.love soup on a cold damp day.God bless you and shalom.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Val said...

Yep... I'm with ya.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shalom

I read you blog because of Rena -
but, where is she - has she got computer problems - AGAIN?

She needs either a new Techie or a new computer.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shalom

I read you blog because of Rena -
but, where is she - has she got computer problems - AGAIN?

She needs either a new Techie or a new computer.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom arthur...her computer is fine...she just isn't blogging now...i'll tell her you wrote...thanks for reading my blog...stay safe

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiiii val...again mazal tov!!!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I love my girls. They love to tell me what they have done wrong . . . to clear their consciences.

I pray silently in full voice, "Hey, God! Is this one my fault too??"

Then I smile at my kids, nod and say, "Enough. Enough. We all go through stages." I then beg God to let me forget what I heard. :o)

But I am rambling . . . so I must feel pretty good.

Be blessed and live in good health.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi tim...exactly...and then you grab chocolate:)))...thanks for dropping in and sharing...stay safe

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honesty is the nail that keeps the floorboard from hitting you in the face when you're 60.

Of course, it also means that you take the whack when you're 20 or 30 or...

Get the whacks overwith now, and life gets better. Holding them off only makes 'em worse.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiii john...welcome back...boy have i missed you...great comment thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home