Friday, December 22, 2006

OY, IT'S ALMOST THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

I don't know about you, but New Year's Eve, playfully known in Israel as Sylvester ( our New Years, is Rosh HaShannah, remember?) is quickly approaching.

Where did the time go?

Wanna hear my most favourite New Year's Eve story? Sure you do.

I had graduated from Wayne State by then and was working teaching school and living in Amber Flats in Royal Oak Michigan with my roommate, Helen.

For some reason, that year God had taken off early to rest with the Good Fairy in Florida and had forgotten to send us dates for New Years. Oy! So, in a moment of absolute temporary insanity, my roommate informed all the other tenants in our building 'that of course we had dates and couldn't wait.'

Nu so that being said, David the Chrystler executive from down the hall and Maynard, the Texas, sales manager for Shaeffer pens who lived across from our flat wanted to see us all dressed up before our dates came to pick us up.

Ok, so what would you do? Besides killing your roommate, I mean. Yes. We got all dressed up...including hair and makeup.

Ohhs and ahhhs danced over us as we pranced in front of our neighbours. 'So, when are the boys coming to get you?' I don't remember which of the two men asked.

Not missing a beat, Helen smiled her little innocent smile, and told them that we were meeting them at some fancy restaurant for dinner in order to save time.

So, we had to get into our coats and in the snow, drive away off on our big date for New Year's Eve.

As soon as it was possible, we drove back to as close as we dared, to our apartment. We parked the car in some place where no one would recognize it and began trudging in the snow, in the dark towards our back porch...with the Japanese hibachi and little two seater swing...where we had brilliantly left the glass door open a crack.

Once safely back inside our warm flat, we spent New Year's Eve in the dark...God forbid anyone should have found us, eating leftovers and I think crying, but that part I'm not sure of.

The hardest part of the entire evening was not bursting out in fits of giggles which for sure would have let the cat out of the bag.

Oy we were so young. See, all we had to do was drive back to Windsor and be with our families...but God forbid, anyone in Windsor should have known we didn't have dates for...you get the rest.

Here in Jerusalem, NYE is no big deal. Some go out for dinner...some have a party...but most of us just sit around trying to stay awake long enough to toast in the new year...mostly with herbal tea or decaf coffee.

So why am I bringing it up all together? Well, see, NYE is the right time for New Years Resolutions and this year I have a few that I'm going to try out.
1. the diet...again
2. I'd like to finish my novel...Emma Shelby is No More (almost done)
3. maybe this year I can save a little for a trip across the big water
4. and 5. I haven't decided on yet.

Do you have any resolutions? Maybe I can borrow some of yours for #s 4 and 5?

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

11 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh, finish a novel? That sounds exciting. I have always wanted to publish a book or two. (non-fiction) But I don't know how to begin. (I have some notes, but nothing more.) Good luck with that one.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Val said...

Great story... and why do you need 5 resolutions??? I think 3 are plenty ambitious! Pace yourself, woman!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom hehupitz...non fiction is a hit!!! go for it...waddya wanna write about?...stay safe honey

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

oy val i knew i loved you...thanks...three is plenty, no??? a sweet shabbat shalom to you and yours

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't thought of this particular New Year's Eve for years and years.

I never bothered to analyze this particular New Year's Eve until years and years after it happened.

I have never, ever mentioned this particular New Year's Eve to a soul. Until now.

I was fourteen at the time, taller than any of the teen-aged girls around me, was suffering from the onset of dreadful acne, marched to a slightly different drum beat than most of my peers, had lots of friends of both sexes but no " boyfriend", and was filled with the regular-type of adolescent angst. But, somehow, I thought that I was a valuable commodity. Frankly, that's another way of saying that, for some unwarranted reason, I had ATTITUDE !

New Year's Eve was drawing closer and closer. I don't know now if it was actually the case, but, EVERYBODY was matched up and EVERYBODY had party invitations. Except, it seemed, me.

And then, several weeks before the big night, I was asked out. His nickname was Buzzy. He was two years older than I, and two inches shorter. Bright, very funny. And, he was extremely overweight. Now, I have to confess something right here. I was no sleek model at the time. I was carrying around my share of extra pounds. But, Buzzy was FAT. Nice looking, by anyone's standards, but, FAT. And shorter than I was.

Because it didn't look as if anyone else would be inviting me out, and because I didn't want to suffer the shame of sitting home on New Year's Eve, and because I was SURE that nobody else would go out with a FAT guy, and because I felt sorry for him, I accepted Buzzy's invitation.

I had an absolutely wonderful time that night. And fell under Buzzy's spell. Turns out, he had the same effect on just about everyone he ever met. Males and females alike, simply adored him. And, I discovered, there were even lots and lots of girls on the " A-list" who would have been delighted to go out on a date with Buzzy. It seems, Buzzy looked past my height, my acne, my irregularities, my attitude, and chose ME to take out that New Year's Eve.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get around to thinking clearly about this particular New Year's Eve, until many years later.

So, thank you, Buzzy, once again, for a great evening. And, thank you even more, for inadvertently showing me the way.

The Guv

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

guv!!! welcome back...how was your trip? i missed you...we all missed you...i love your story...nu so where is buzzy today? great memory...hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii honey...stay safe

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

guv!!! welcome back...how was your trip? i missed you...we all missed you...i love your story...nu so where is buzzy today? great memory...hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii honey...stay safe

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Year's Resolution #1: Keep all resolutions simple.

The End.

The best to you Marallyn.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom tim...gotcha!!! best advice i've had in a long time...stay safe my friend and a very Merry Christmas

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Leann said...

nice story.I have had many new years and other times with no dates.its the story of my life.but the good is I have always had the Lord with me.He is by far better then anyone else anyway!!!my resolutions are 1.to read the blogs who post on mine to.and to not sweat the ones who don,t.2.to be happy and keep on having hope one day I will find a man who I can depend on and trust.3.to love my family much and pray for them to be blessed with a mate who loves them as they should be loved.and for them to know the Lord Jesus better then they ever did before.4.to be a better person and stronger so I can hold up to what ever this old world may through at me.5.to pray more for people and see the answers clearer.shalom from the USA.HAPPY NEW YEAR I PRAY WE SEE A BETTER TIME.FILLED WITH PEACE FOR ALL AND FREEDOM FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT.MIRACLES AROUND EVERY CORNER,LOVE IN BASKETS FULL.HOPE BIG ENOUGH TO SEE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE,DESIRE TO PRAY FOR BIGGER SO GOD IS ABLE TO BLESS US THE WAY HE REALY WANTS.FAITH TO REACH OUT AND RECIEVE ALL GOD INTENDED FOR US TO BE.AND WISDOM TO KNOW WHEN THE DEVIL IS CONNING US AND RUUUUUUN!!!GOD BLESS YOU FRIEND.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so looking forward to New Years Eve! Our town throws a wonderful celebration for the whole town, free to the public. We congregate down town in the Plaza and listen to local performers and purchase hot chocolate, coffee or sodas to drink and burritos, BBQ or hamburgers to eat. Then about 9:30 p.m., the real entertainment starts. Last year, it was Charlie Daniels. This year it's Diamond Rio. At midnight, a big, lighted ball (no apple here) arises on a huge derrick above the refinery, and then our local electrician dazzles us with his beautiful fireworks display that would put NYC's to shame! It's a wonderful way to bring in the New Year, and we don't have to worry about being on anyones party list or being dateless. For a small town (14,000) we do it up in a really big way.
Then, we go home and eat our traditional sauerkraut, pork and black-eyed peas!!! When you come across the big pond, you will have to come spend NYE with me!!!
Resolutions? I resolve not to make any resolutions because I always disappoint myself when I don't keep them. I will set a couple of goals for myself,however.
I'm going to eat healthier and be more organized. If I reach those goals, I will be very pleased.
Love your blog stories! You bless my socks off with your style, creativity and warm heart. You must have been a hoot to grow up with!
Happy New Year my friend!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home