Sunday, December 10, 2006

I'VE KICKED MY HEELS AND I'M STILL IN KANSAS

I just received an email from my friend Rky, and in it she said the line about Kansas. Whoa, I thought. And then as I went to make myself a cup of coffee and daven, I wondered about that.

Dontcha just have days when you would like to wake up in a fancy hotel with room service on the way? Or, sit drinking tea in the kitchen of someone you love who lives far away across the great water?

I would. But the truth is that I'm never really comfortable being far away from Jerusalem.

So, maybe the Kansas kicking will have to be changing something in my life right here in Jerusalem.

I know I would like the city/country to be like it was when I moved here in 1970. You know, the good ol' days when we were free to walk anywhere and not be afraid and when the entire world thought we were better than sliced bread.

But, today we are up to here with Iran, Hamas, Hizbulla, the Three Stooges, anti-semitism, and lots of folk who think we are the bad guys.

I guess, I'm going to have to look carefully at my glass and see it half full. That isn't a problem. I have so much to be grateful for.

See, I live in Jerusalem. I have three kids and two granchildren who's passports say: Place of birth- JERUSALEM!!! Now how cool is that?

I have Bubbie Channah here and my brother, Dovidle is coming to visit in seventeen days.

When I first moved to Jerusalem, no matter where I went, no one knew me. There was no one to say 'HI' to or to wish me a good day. Today, I have family and friends and know so many people that sometimes when they come up to say howdydoo, I don't remember who they are. OY. My kids always know when I am stymied. They say I get this goofy look on my face and smile and mumble stuff like, 'How nice it is to see you again. How are you and the family?' That kind of stuff.

But it is so nice to be remembered. And over these 37 years, I have taught hundreds of kids and I hope I've made a difference in some of their lives. Makes me smile inside.

So, I guess I'm keeping my Kansas just as it is. With never a dull moment and never ever boring.

A sweet shavuah tov ( a good week ) to all of you.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

26 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-huh, I know what you're talking about.

I keep clicking the heels of my ruby slippers. And , when I say, " Toto, NOW what do you see?", the mutt keeps saying,

"Honey, you can click as many times as your little heart desires. But, you're still over sixty, over weight and over-bearing. Live with it."

I'm seriously thinking about replacing those damn shoes and that annoying little talking dog !

The Guv

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ah guv who do you think you are kidding? you never owned a dog in your life...now you have owned some of the strangest cats i have ever seen...the big fluffy one who always stood in the corner was interesting...hang on to the shoes...we may find some chickens!!!...stay safe my dear friend...a sweet shavuah tov

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

Love your post, and love your attitude Marallyn. You are like a glass of orange juice, a ray of sunshine, a bowl of icecream (well, you get my drift).

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

Home is where the heart is, and once you have lived somewhere that is home, we have to be hapy where we are and do our part to make it better, no matter what, good for you doing your part, nice to hear

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
I think the guv is right.
You don't Kick your heels, you Click them.
I know this because I've lived in Kansas.

Heavens to Betsy, are all Jewish people so dramaitic:):):)

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

wow cruisin'...coming from you that is high praise indeed..stay safe and thanks so much for dropping in

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi cheating...nice to see you again...and you are right...home is where the heart is...stay safe my friend

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear anonymous...before i explain to you about the jews, perhaps you will stop hiding behind 'anonymous'...the guv clicks, i kick, and we have one hell of a dramatic time...and trust me, everyone wants to join our table

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pssst! the guv has another fan :)) defending her honour----and here's to drama !!!!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Batya said...

We also made aliyah in 1970!
Things have changed for sure.

Oh, by the way, you're tagged!
http://me-ander.blogspot.com/2006/12/gevalt-i-was-tagged.html

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

did you hear that guv??? you've got a secret pen pal...yahoooooo

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pssst! ---the guv has someone ELSE in her corner, defending her honour :))(you can tell this is NOT coming from someone in Kansas)------AND yay to drama !!!

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks so much muse...i love your blog...stay safe and thanks for dropping in

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the last "anonymous" was me ---computer acting up here, too.--wrote it again with my ID

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

sydonia...hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii and thanks for the phone call today...drama is good...DRAMA is exhausting...loveyou

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

sydonia!!! you are the guv's secret pen pal??? and here i was getting all excited that some hairy guy was coming over with flowers and candy for the guv...hahahaha

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guv, would you like to spend a weekend with me?

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have done 59 of them. I guess I get out more than I thought. :o) I posted it on my blog and linked ya. Take care.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom tim!!! and thanks for the hat tip...59 wow...good for you...was fun, wasn't it? stay safe

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear anonymous number one: time to reveal who you are if you want me to take you seriously...kansas or no kansas

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

anonymous number two...sydonia how did that happen to a nice person like you??? oy

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

yehupitz...this is not a dating service...although your comments are creating a stir...that being said, i have to ask if you really think your last comment was in good taste???

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yehupitz, I just clicked the heels of my ruby slippers once again, and asked Toto what he saw.

" Honey", he said, " while you and Yehupitz's wife are out shopping and seeing movies, what's HE going to do for the entire weekend?"

The Guv

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

guv... :)))

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why isn't it in good taste to invite someone to spend Shabbos with me and my family?? I honestly don't understand you...

And while I don't mind if guv and the wife went out shopping,(Take my wife and kids. Please.) I don't think the wife would be willing to do that on Shabbos...But we'd spend a nice Shabbos together, guv reading my congregants' minds and giving me the inside scoop, enjoying my cholent. It would be great.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the shopping and the movies ! CHOLENT. CHOLENT. Even if I didn't adore you, I'd make the trip for your cholent alone.

Consider yourself hugged and kissed.

The Guv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home