Thursday, December 14, 2006

A CHANNUKAH WISH FOR YOU

Hi, everyone and thanks for your calls and emails. I'm sorry I wasn't online for a few days, but one of my kids got sick and I wasn't home while I played 'Nancy Nurse'. Today the kid is much better, but guess who caught the cold?

I am not ready to even think that perhaps it's the flu, as I took my life in my hands and had a flu shot. See, four people died from the flu shot in Israel...bad batch from France.

I don't know why we bought flu shots from France. But then again, I never understood why we bought gas masks from Germany!!! You love it? Can't you just see those Jews in their sealed rooms with German gas masks??? Oy!

Once I had the flu. I think it was the Asian flu. Boy was I sick. And as a present...a present...I was left afterwards with asthma! So, since then, my doctor wants me to take the flu shots. Never mind that now I am on the 'old lady' list of people who should get the shots. Me, and Bubbie Channah walk from her apartment up the street to the Kupat Cholim, the Health Clinic, and find a nice nurse who gives us the shots. Then we go and share a sandwich and have some coffee while we wait in the lobby to make sure we don't have any reaction.

What has all this got to do with a Channukah wish for you? Good question. So, yesterday, sick as a dog, with, ahem, a bad cold, I was waiting for my next student to show up, when the buzzer rang downstairs.

'A little early,' I thought and buzzed her in. Instead of my student there was a man with a huge...make that humungous package of goodies. And all for me and mine.

The Guv, bless her, sent us all a Channukah gift. Wanna know what we got? Sure you do!!! So, we got three bottles of wine, and a cute apron that has the instructions how to make potato latkes on it, and a huge chocolate chip cake, and Chris....Channukah cookies. You remember those cookies. Sugar cookies? I ate three before I opened up the rest of the boxes. The cookies are delicious with sprinkles of chocolate or just sugar and are in the shape of stars, dreidles and menorahs.

And a big box of dried fruit and nuts. And another big box of chocolate covered nuts and jelly beans. Jelly beans! And another box of mixed chocolates. Honestly, the package measured from my fingertips to my elbow!!!

So, quickly I picked up the phone and called the Guv. 'Yahooooo! Thank you! Are you nuts? You shouldn't have! Boy, wait till you see what I've got here!'

Wait! There's more! Bubbie Channah got a package of goodies too! Don't ask the excitement as like little kids we opened up our packages and looked to see what was inside.

I always wondered what Christmas morning was like. Couldn't be better than what went on here yesterday!!!

When I was little, Bubbie Channah told me about her one and only Christmas. When she was about five and her sister was four, they went to their mother and asked to put up Christmas stockings, like the other children in the neighbourhood. Their mother smiled and said that they could. The next morning when they ran downstairs and grabbed their stockings, they were dismayed to see them filled with old potatoes and onions.

'That is what Santa Claus brings Jewish children,' my grandmother told them.

Pretty harsh, I always thought. But she made her point. We never had a Channukah bush in our house.

See, I don't think that Christmas is any better a holiday than Channukah, it just has better press.

When we were growing up in Windsor, ours was the only house on the block that didn't have coloured lights and decorations all over the front of the house and on the trees in the yard. Ours was the only house that had a little menorah in the window which did it's best to compete with the fancy trees shining from the other windows. I always was asked to sing 'the token dreidle song' in the midst of the Christmas party at school.

Like my Dad, AH always said, 'It's hard being a Jew.'

The Guv, bless her, wanted to share Channukah joy with her Israeli family. And joyous it was and still is. The stuff is spread out all over my dining room table, and everyone who walks by grabs a handfull of whatever they fancy. Now, isn't that something?

Then, as I climbed into bed with a hot cup of tea and waited to watch the next episode of Survivor, the phone rang and it was the Beauty from The Bald and The Beautiful, another dear, wonderful friend from Windsor.

She called to say hello and wish us a happy Channukah. Beauty then said something that stopped me short. She said, 'I wish you a year of Miracles.'

WOW!!! Tears sprang to my eyes. That is the best wish anyone has ever wished me. Just think, a year of Miracles!

And to you and yours also Beauty, to you and yours.

So, my wonderful friends, as Channukah is about to come once again into our homes tomorrow and we light the first candle and eat our first potato latkeh and sufganiyah ( doughnut ), let me wish you a table full of sweets, love from friends both near and far, and to you and yours from me and mine, I wish you a Happy Channukah and a year of Miracles!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

31 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marallyn,

I just had a few minutes to spare at work so I took the opportunity to read your blog. Sorry to hear that you have been not feeling well – hope by now you are in better spirits. Have a happy Chanukah and feel well.

Love R

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom 'r'...thanks sooooooooooo much for writing and for your kind words...stay safe and thanks for dropping in

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really lovely, but I'll tell you what I'd like to have, it's a year when I won't need any miracles.

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just before I left, I had my last sufganiyah for the year. With all the incredibly sweet and fattening goodies here in Godblessamerica, there isn't ANYTHING like a good sufganiyah.

I miss 'em.

Oh, I wish you and everyone a year of miracles too. It seems like every year has something amazing in store for us.

May there be love and joy in the wake of all the miracles that come our way.

- John

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi muse...you think it's possible to live in jerusalem and not need a couple of miracles??? hey, maybe you know something i don't...stay safe and thanks for dropping in

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

oh john honey...come here tomorrow and i'll fill you up a bag...how's that??? miss you my friend...stay safe and happy channukah...ps ahhhhh Godblessamerica!!!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but what you and Bubbie Channah have given to ME, and mine, over the past 41 years, could never be purchased, packaged or placed on any table. And, none of it has been seasonal. Your special gifts keep coming and they last an adult life time.

Hag Somayach to you, and yours!

The Guv

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear guv...ditto ditto ditto...and right backatcha...wanna come to my place for latkehs? ahhhhhhhhhhh the things dreams are made of...and bring sydonia along with...and if we shelp maeshey then there will be a hot time in the old house tonight...again thank you for the surprise and the love and the joy of almost a lifetime...we'll raise our glass and toast to the next 41...l'chaim!!!

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marallyn!

So sorry you're not feeling well.
But enjoy Chanuka anyway.
And get well soon!

Love - Miriam

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks miriam...as soon as i get back up on my feet we'll party...i love you too...stay safe my friend

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Refuah Shleimah.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..that mean lady you mentioned..with the stockings and onions? She must not have seen the true (it must be since it's so old) movie "Santa Clause is Coming to Town".
That damn Meisterburgerburgermeister

Happy Chanukah!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom yehupitz!!!now that we know who you are and love you i will be thrilled to hear from you anytime...ps your mom says you are planning a new mayseh...vey...and happy channukah to you and yours too...thanks for an interesting journey

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear anonymous...that mean lady was my grandmother...and she was sure that she was doing the best thing for her jewish children...who knows, maybe if more would have been like her then we wouldn't have so many channukah bushes...waddya think? thanks for dropping in

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling much better and are on the mend. It's sort of a
surprise when the doctor classifies you as a "must" to get the annual flu
shot. That happened to me 2 years ago and now it's a done deal although I
did try to avoid it.

A very Happy Chanukah to all of you and a special hello to your mom.

Love,

Neshie

_________________________________________________________________

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom neshie...thanks for all the good wishes and a sweet happy channukah to you and yours from me and bubbie channah

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps your mom says you are planning a new mayseh...vey...

Marallyn, I have no idea what that means. Please s'plain.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

yahupitz...when i was speaking to your mom last night she told me that you all had such a good time confusing the gov and me, that she was going to try and think of another trick to play on us...hmmmm the plot thickens...stay safe yehupitz...it was fun while it lasted...and a sweet chag sameach

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops. sorry.
What's a Chanukah bush? Is it bad?
Looking forward to hearing more about your celebrations:)
Anna
PS-potato pancakes are my favourite:)

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anna!
You know what is realllllly good? Leftover mashed potatoes with chopped onions fried as a really thick patty..yummm. They are still soft on the inside.
I think a Hanukka bush is kind of like a Christmas tree, but without a Star of Bethlehem. Maybe they use a hibiscus? I have no idea.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom anonymous...there is no such thing as a channukah bush...but it is what some jews put up so their kids don't feel left out during the holiday season...in my opinion it is a big mistake...jews don't have trees all decorated inside the house...we have dreidles, and menorahs, and potato latkes and the story of the miracle of channukah...stay safe and thanks for dropping in

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom coleen...i love making potato pancakes that way...you are right...they are delicious...have a wonderful weekend and thanks for dropping in

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger The Wedding Guide Windsor/Essex County said...

I can see that big smile when you received the Guv's package of treats.
Not only can she light up a room; she also lights up everyone around her!!! she like you is a "one-of-a - kind.
Now don't be eating all that sugar while you have your cold. It will wreck more havoc on your immune system. Eat it all when you feel more like yourself!


Happy Chanukah to you and yours!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom sheryl!!! thanks so much for dropping in...yup the guv is the guv and G-d bless her...thanks for the tip about the sugar...will do my best...not easy with all that chocolate and dried fruit...sigh...shabbat shalom and chag sameach

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger leann said...

sorry I haven,t been on in a while but this darn thingie wouldn,t let me do anything.it just started working today.I had to go and do some resign ups and every thing.don,t know what changed but Immmmmm back!!hope your on the mend and enjoying this season of joy and peace and good will to man.merry christmas and happy channukah friend.yes we all need miracles.Lord send each and everyone of us the blessings you so wish to give us if we would only recieve them.fix our recievers Lord.and teach us your ways God.a sweet shalom and may the wings of Gods love wrap you round about this time of year and always.

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channukah. Christmas. *weighing the two* I only get presents on Christmas. *sigh*

A year of miracles. You have to love it. Such a year I could use.

And may the year also be a year of blessing.

Happy Channukah, Marallyn.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Leann said...

hope you are feeling better.I tryed a few times before to comment but this darn thing would not let me.sorry you were sick.I enjoyed you post.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace, Marallyn.

You are the most remarkable woman. Anyone needing proof needs only to read over these Channukah wishes to you from friends near and far, real and cyber.

Chappy Chaannukah!

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks again leann...always happy to find you here...a sweet weekend to you my friend

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom tim...and to you and yours...and to you and yours...stay safe my friend

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

houston what a marvellous thing to say...thank you sooooooooo much...always happy to hear from you...stay safe my friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home