Sunday, December 17, 2006

WHATSA MOTHER FOR???

Well, I went to take care of my kid like a good mommy and we shared. We shared the couch and Bubbie Channah's huha afghan; we shared lunch; we shared supper; and we shared her germs.

Still feeling yukky. Didn't even make it last night to Myra's Channukah party. There is a Yiddish expression...'shennereh bagrubt mehn' which loosely translated means 'they've buried better looking!' OY.

By Friday, I knew I was in trouble so I called my doctor and he prescribed antibiotics. Yahooooo soon I'll be able to breathe again. It's just a bad cold but my sinus' are infected and I don't want it to work itself into an asthma attack.

I stayed in bed all weekend. Reading.

What a treat!!! Of course, first I cooked for Shabbat on Friday. Easy menu this time. 1.Potato latkehs...2. lemon chicken (quick write this down...cut up the chicken and marinade in a mixture of the juice from two lemons and one tablespoon of olive oil...add salt and pepper and paprika...then put the chicken and the squeezed lemon halves in a tray at the bottom of your oven and turn on the BROILER...keep turning and shmearing with the lemon/olive oil/seasoning stuff that was left in the bowl). Even without being able to smell or taste I knew this one was a hit.

And since I wasn't making a cholent, I made a pot of cholent stuff. 3. Cut up a gorgeous onion, some carrots, three potatoes, a cup of barley, a handful of white beans, three zuccini. Fry the onions and vegetables in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes for the flavour and then pour the rest of the stuff in and cover with boiling water. On the top put in enough raw eggs in their shells for everyone and maybe two for everyone. Salt/pepper/chicken soup powder/and I added a little tumeric for colour. Yahooo.

All done, back to bed.

The man who invented the Used Book Store was a genius. Think about it. You don't need anything but all your friends' old books and a table with a drawer and a cash register. A bunch of shelves and bingo you're in business. Serves two purposes. One, you get to unload all your old books and get cash, and two, you get to buy someone else's old books at a discount. Such a smart person that person was who invented this store.

My favourite of all of them is Sefer and Sefel (Book and Mug). I guess in the beginning they served hot drinks for the people and the name stuck. Just off Jaffa Road in the little alley where Bahari sells their roasted nuts is an old stone stairway and at the top is the bookstore.

Uri, the owner is an old friend. He knows what I like to read. Smart whodunits, historical fiction, (picture this, England 1207), fantasy fiction, Daniel DaSilva (cuz it's always connected to Israel), and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember cuz my head is still fuzzy from the anti biotics :).

Well, just imagine how surprised I was when Uri told me 'You have to read this. Just for fun.' and handed me 'The Devil Wears Prada' by Lauren Weisberger.

I looked up at Uri. And then I opened the first page to the dedications, and I quote:
Dedicated to the only three people alive who genuinely believe it rivals WAR AND PEACE:

my mother, Cheryl, the mom 'a million girls would die for';
my father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedicattion;
my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorited (until i wrote a book).

DONTCHA JUST LOVE IT??? So of course I added it to the other six books I bought that day. And this weekend I spent reading it. A lovely easy book, and the truth is I was sorry when it ended.

Now, I am back reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova...about Dracula. Don't ask!!!

Beginning to feel a bit better this morning and I just may spend one more day in bed pampering myself. What a treat. But godda get better really fast...my brother Dovidle is coming in ten days and Bubbie Channah and all of us are beyond excited at seeing him again.

So, have a sweet Channukah. And a good shavuah tov ( a good week ).

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

8 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better darling. Your menu sounds great. It'll go into KCC, of course plus all sorts of other things you've sent.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks so much muse...i love your kcc...and love hearing from you...chag sameach and a sweet shavuah tov...stay safe

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger The Wedding Guide Windsor/Essex County said...

Glad to hear you took the time to stop and get yourself better. Ah.. the luxury of a weekend in bed reading.
And your meal plan sounded superb. I could almost smell your lemon chicken!
Be happy, be safe and feel better.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi sheryl...thanks for the good wishes and for dropping in...the food was ambrosia and decadent is the only word for staying in bed like that...ahhhhhhhh yahoooooo

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's worth getting sick, just so that you can have the excuse to read all those books.

Now, feel better.

- John

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiii john honey...the glass half full, eh? trust me when i tell you that i am not a vision of loveliness...vey...miss you...thanks for dropping in

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Leann said...

love your post sorry to hear you aren,t feeling so good.I read a story the other night that helped me alot just when I needed most.its called "life touched with wonder The spirit of courage.from the Editors of readers digest.since mom passed I been lower then a snakes belly in a well.my poor sister in law tryed to cheer me and give me words to help.but I just still felt like crap,and sooooo darn right tired I could have crawled in a hole and pulled the cover over me and stayed there!!!I got off the phone with her and shut off the TV and picked up that book to a story I hadn,t read yet.it was called "lesson of the cliff."it was just what I needed to hear.it was just like the Lord was speaking right to me.like somehow this story was written just for me and put in my hands just when I needed it.and you know it was.it was one of the books from my mom,s stuff.it use to belong to my step Dad.he had me read it years ago.but that day it spore to me all over again.it was like my mom had kept that book knowing I would need it one day.and I did!!!who says we can,t touch people after we aren,t here!!!I don,t believe in this ghost junk cause I know what the bible says.but I do believe the Lord can give your loved ones messages for you.and vise versa.these guys like the crossing over guy isn,t talking to the dead.he is into a whole diffrent ball of wax and one day he will see it.that chicken sound sooooooo gooood.I plan to try it.have a good rest and get better fast.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom leann...i always love reading your comments...and yes i agree with you...there is no such thing as a coincidence...i love how you see the glass half full...bless you my friend and thanks for dropping in

 

Post a Comment

<< Home