Thursday, August 31, 2006

YOU CAN'T MISS A PLACE IF YOU'RE THERE EVERY DAY

It doesn't happen to me often. The feeling that I would really like a vacation. Not just a little time off from work and cooking...but a real vacation. You know the kind. You pack two suitcases and go to the airport kind of vacation.

But this morning that's exactly how I feel. Life in Israel, and especially in Jerusalem is like driving in the fast lane. You are always on the watch and always on the go. And if you take your eyes off the road for a second you could be in big trouble.

Remember that joke that went around a few years ago? How can you describe the history of the Jews in less than ten words? THEY TRIED TO KILL US...WE WON...LET'S EAT!

So, I phoned my friend Rena and we're off for brunch in the Mall.

I really wanted to stay home today and write on my novel. But somehow I need to be with people and the Mall is always a zoo.

The Malka Mall is five minutes from my house and I see it when I look out my front window. A Canadian designed it and it's a great place. Amateur joggers and walkers use it as their track. The real joggers are out at the crack of dawn power walking with their tummy pack holding their keys and cell phones and little bottles of water.

It's a great place. I don't know how well the shops do there, but the coffee places and restaurants do a great business.

Kids love to come there and meet their friends at the fast food section before going in to the many movies that the place offers day and night.

So what are we going to do in the Mall? First of all I want to go into Office Depot and see if they can fix my iPak. Don't ask. The little button that turns it on somehow sunk deep inside the thing and I can't open it up. Everything is inside. And someone told me that they might be able to fix it there. Keep your fingers crossed.

Then I want to buy some more salad stuff. My youngest and I are big on salads now. Don't ask. Moi? Salads? But wait till you taste this one.

HU HA SALAD
cut up/dice: green onion/red pepper/tomato/cucumber/raddish/etc
add: diced mango/any fruit
add: baby lettuce/any lettuce
grate: carrot
season: a couple of tablespoons or raw tehina ( just the tahina not the stuf they serve in restaurants that have water/garlic/lemon juice added)

So, off we go. Brunch in the Mall. I dreamed last night that 'they' were coming to take us all away. And we had until tomorrow to get ready.

This morning when I remembered the dream, I thought how my entire life they were trying to take us away. First the Nazis...yes,I am that old...and then the Arabs.

But they can't have me! And they can't have mine! And I'm off to the Mall to sit with all my fellow Jerusalemites and have a coffee and two eggs and a salad all for thirty-nine shekels.

Then I'll come home and write.

"Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you've got;
Taking a break from all your worries
Sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name." theme song from CHEERS

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

5 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marallyn,

Another great piece! Keep up the good work. I loved almost every bit of it.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeze, I can't help myself. When you break into song, so do I ! Strangely, though, this time around, you didn't become a chanteuse until the end of your blog. But these lyrics to " Far Away Places " popped into my head as soon as I read your first paragraph.

Faraway places
With strange soundin' names
Faraway over the sea
Those faraway places
With the strange soundin' names
Are callin', callin' me

Goin' to China
Or maybe Siam
I want to see for myself
Those faraway places
I've been readin' about
In a book that I took from a shelf

I start getting restless
Whenever I hear
The whistle of a train
I pray for the day
I can get underway
And look for those castles in Spain

They call me a dreamer
Well, maybe I am
But I know that I'm burnin' to see
Those faraway places
With the strange soundin' names
Callin', callin' me...

Trust me when I tell you that the lyricist did NOT have the Malka Mall in mind when he wrote that lovely ballad !

Before I leave you... Marallyn, Precious, you are well into your sixth decade, and should know this by now: Some people have insy-buttons, some don't. That's just the way it is. And, short of plastic surgery, there's not one damn thing you can do about it ! So, the way I see it, don't bother with Office Depot and concentrate on brunch. After all, when "they" come to take you away, a full stomach would be good. You never know how many times a day/week/month "they" will give you eggs, salad and a good cup of coffee.

The Guv

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear guv...another miracle in the holy land...just as i was about to leave for the mall i pushed the little button on the bottom and after a week of not talking to me at all at all the thing lit up!!!and i was able to get all the information i needed off the thing before it 'goes softly into the night'...as for brunch it was fabulous, as usual...but my dear friend 'they' had lots of things in mind for me but food was not on the list...stay safe guv and i'll do my best to stay safe too...smooches

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marallyn,
Frumi and I spent the morning at the mall on Thursday. Short of a real vacation we had the greatest time!!! Zara, Castro, Dance shop etc. It was wonderful. I actually looked wistfully at what movies were playing and I realized I haven't been to the movies in the longest time. For more of a dose of normal, I'm actually going to work out Sunday morning. After 22 years of full time mommy with work inbetween, my whole brood will be in school for a full day. I'm excited, and like you said, its really fun to be excited about something normal. Anyway, Cousin Anne said I deserve it, so have a Shabbat Shalom, and keep enjoying your salads with your son. Take care,
Shabbat Shalom

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shabbat shalom cousin nancy...i remember the day when all my chickadees were in gan or school...for a moment there i didn't know what to do with myself...and then i jumped up in the air and enjoyed the quiet...a sweet shabbat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home