Thursday, September 07, 2006

EXTENDED FAMILY

I don’t know about you, but when I get home from work and can finally relax at night, I turn on the television. I have my favourite programs and when all else fails I turn on Fox News.

Since the war, it makes my blood pressure soar to listen to the gibberish our talking heads are spouting, so I don’t watch a lot of news any more. Maybe not any.

So, I was really surprised and upset to learn that Steve Irwin, AH, was killed by a sting ray. See, I’ve been watching the Crocodile Hunter forever. I was happy to hear that he and his wife, Terry had a little girl, Binti and then two years ago a son, Bob.

I watched him with his meshuggeneh crocodiles and scary snakes and every other creepy, crawly thing that brought him so much joy.

The reason I kept watching was that he was always so happy. He had a joy of life that you don’t find much any more. And no matter how farklempt I was here with the news and the terrorists and the depression Jerusalem has been in for the past couple of years, all I had to do was turn on Animal Planet and there he was laughing and jumping for joy. Crikey! Crocks rule! And for those few minutes my heart smiled.

The day he died I was watching him back away from a huge crocodile and I thought, ‘One day those animals are going to kill him.’

Sadly, I was right. So, I checked the news online and found a site and sent in my condolences too.

See, when you watch a program for more than a month, they become like family. Do you know what I mean? I can still tell you all about Mr. Hudson and Mrs. Bridges and our Rose from Upstairs/Downstairs. And Mr. Humphreys and Mrs. Slokum and Captain Peacock from Are You Being Served. And we all have our favourites who we root for on Survivor, or The Amazing Race or Strictly Come Dancing. Family. We don’t know them and they don’t know us but they touch our lives.

Some of you out there are like that for me. We have met online. Have never seen each other in person, yet we share our joys and sadness and we root for each other to make it to the finish line.

Good-bye Steve…we’ll miss you. The world is not so happy any more now that you are watching over all the animals in Noah’s Ark up there in the sky.

Someone has to do it, and no one is better than you.

Have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Mama Wombat said...

He was a real "mensch". The phrase everyone who knew him kept using when describing him was "what you see is what you got". Fair dinkum.
He was such a good person, he did so much for the promotion of animal conservation. He gave millions to buy land and turn it into nature reserves. He opened a zoo and veterinary hospitals for bush animals. All of Australia is grieving and also celebrating his life and vowing to continue what he started.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks mama...how sad...how simply sad

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am feeling the same sense of sadness and loss for this young man, taken in his prime. He had such a capacity for joy and adventure. I believe he was living every man's dream. He obviously died doing what he loved to do. He was indeed, one with nature, with what seems like a natural understanding of their behavior. He did so much to promote their (animals) well-being and gave people a chance to observe them in their natural habitat, and learn from Steve things they would not have had the opportunity to learn anywhere else. The world is a sadder place without him. He will be missed, by both children and adults alike.
"Thanks Steve, for giving so much of yourself to the world. You are irreplaceable and we are grieving your premature demise. May the good Lord welcome you and watch over and protect your family".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home