Friday, September 01, 2006

CHOICES

I don’t know about you, but I love having choices…like I love getting back change. It doesn’t matter that I just paid a gazillion shekels for that thing I couldn’t live without, but when the salesperson hands me back a shekel fifty, I feel like a million bucks.

This morning when I opened my computer I found that my friend, The Guv, had made her move. See, we play scrabble online. One move at a time through our email. www.thepixiepit.co.uk ‘Try it…you’ll like it’.

Well, not only can you play scrabble, but there’s a little comment box where you can write notes to each other, and we’re busy scrabbling and writing across the ocean all the time.

This morning she told me that after eating dinner last night, an old friend called and invited her out to join him for a meal. She had already eaten but agreed to accompany him while he partook of his evening repast.

Now, in the old days both she and I would have ordered a little something. You know. A nosh. Maybe a dessert. Something.

But, The Guv is watching her weight, and as she sat down, she had the choice of going back to bad habits, aka fressing, or not.

And my great friend chose the second door.

That left me here thinking about choices.

Every day we are faced with making choices. Do I buy that, or not? Should I sign up for that course, or not? Do I tell so-and-so they look terrible in that outfit? (That one is easy. Bubbie Chanah told me that if you don’t have anything good to say then don’t say anything at all. And if you absolutely have to say something, then find something honest to say. ‘Oh, what a lovely scarf you’re wearing.’) And then run for the hills!

So, if we, the commoners, have to make choices, then it stands to reason that the ‘machers’ (ch as in loch ness) have to, too.

Then, that means that our President could have spent more time with his wife, instead. Our former Minister of Justice could have simply stood by that lady and taken a picture. Our Ramat Kal, head of staff for the IDF could have listened to everyone and figured out a plan that made more sense. And our Prime Minister…here the list is so long that I don’t even know where to being. To paraphrase Jackie Mason, “You don’t screw an entire nation and end up with phlebitis!”

Don’t you have to pay for your mistakes? Ah, you say, but first you have to admit to them.

Well, my fellow Israelis. Here is where our choices come in. Since the makers and shakers of our country are not capable of admitting that they are at fault, we, as they payers of the consequences of their action, have to point out their mistakes and demand that they pay the price.

Choices. It’s up to us. Do we turn our back on the mess our leaders and the fine-shmekkers have put us in, or do we stand up and do something about it before it’s too late?

I made my choice. Have you made yours?

Oh, and any suggestions you may have will be gratefully appreciated. Except for you Marc, who think we should be wiped off the map.

A sweet Shabbat shalom to you all.

Have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would have thunk it ? For a moment in time, I became your muse ! I chose not to eat three little spareribs, and you produced an intelligent ( political ) blog.

Listen, if ever you are asked to deliver a eulogy, or, per chance, you plan on composing a dirge, get in touch with me immediately !! I'll tell you all about my social/sex life.

Shabbat Shalom!

The Guv

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ahhhhhhhhh guv...still laughing here...no not about your social/sex life...that is never a laughing matter...before?...ok a nervous giggle is acceptable...after?...a smile is preferable...but during?...always a disaster!!!...so why am i laughing you ask? i guess because it's so much fun having you in my life...shabbat shalom...stay safe

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun reading your blog about the guv making choices---your introduction of her meeting an old friend for dinner led me to thinking that her choices were going to be about an important venture in her future; a little more complicated than a couple of spare ribs---:))) --you sure set up for suspense :))))---well, it was good to know she was "going out", and having fun...

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hahaha i didn't think of that my dear friend...good to laugh...thanks...stay safe

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, choices, ribs, sex, future ventures, laughing matters, nervous giggles, appropriate smiles? This conversation is a little too hot for me!! lolololol.
You are such a hoot!
Shalom u'vrakah
Love,
Chavah

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom chavah...you think this is hot? wait till we get to the old folks' home...then we'll really tell you some stories lololol...good to laugh no my dear friend? stay safe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home