Thursday, October 12, 2006

SCARED BY A ROPE

I think the expression is...'Once you've been bitten by a snake, you get scared by a rope.'

That's how I felt last night when my daughter called me and said, 'Imma are you watching the news?'

My heart fell. Now what, I thought, and turned on the tv. There it was. Another burning building in New York!

And we watched, and we waited, and we listened. 'Not a terrorist attack,' they said. So, what was it? A mistake? Just like that a plane flies into a building? Are they nuts?!?

But that's what it was.

How often has something from our past triggered fear today? An unexpected notice from the post office that you have a registered letter, for example. Now, what could that be? Hmmmm.

Or, a sonic boom. Or the sound of an ambulance. After the intifada any loud noise stops me and I wait and listen. Or I wait to hear if there are more ambulances flying behind that first one.

When my brother was here visiting us last year, he couldn't understand why every time there was an ambulance we stopped and waited. See, that wasn't part of his memory bank. That sound didn't trigger any personal fear for him.

Yesterday when I watched that building it opened wounds that I've been working hard to close. You too, I'm sure.

Damn them!

Not for opening wounds...but for making them in the first place. Damn them!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

10 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the bus bombings in the 90s, every boom was followed by that breathless analysis: Sonic boom? Something else?

If you heard jet engines, you relaxed. If you didn't, a part of you waited...

The other part of you determinedly went on. It's alright. There's no problem. Everyone is fine. It wasn't a terrorist...

I don't think that I need to draw a picture.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

exactly john...scary no?

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we were all glued to the T.V. for a bit, just waiting to exhale. Your rope quote is pretty accurate. Then the evening news revealed it was an inexperienced pilot (only had 75 hrs.) and his instructor flying the plane. They were the only two deaths. Pretty remarkable. Apparently they ran out of gas as there was no signs of excess gas at the crash site.

Again, you have expressed my sentiments well. Now we have to figure out what we are going to do about the two insane dictators. I've got some ideas, but don't think they are too popular....yet.

Shalom & hugs my friend. Stay safe and prayed-up!
Hugs,
Chavah
P.s. Shira's trip to Israel was cancelled, and she's bummed. I would be too!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

Triggers can be a horrible reminder of things that haunt us, when I saw that on the news I must say my heart stopped, not again was running violently threw my head, very unnerving.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have all become conditioned to expect the worst while hoping for the best.
Yesterday was a tragedy but at least it wasn't a continuation of the horror that we were introduced to on 911.
We have children here in our schools from Bosnia and everytime they hear a car backfire on the street they dive under their desks.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thank you so much for writing sheryl...yesterday was just too scary...i worried the most about our kids during the intifada...i understand too well about your bosnian kids...give them a hug from me too...stay safe and thanks for dropping in

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, of course, about constantly making memory bank deposits and withdrawals. Banks that are open 24 - 7. Twelve months each and every year. No bank holidays here !

Sometimes our deposits are for hopeful, loving, or nurturing things. Sometimes, they are for painful, wish-I-could-ignore-all-of- this, or devastating things.

Sometimes we use an ATM ( Automatic Thinking Mode ) for retrieval and the transaction is quick and unmemorable. Sometimes, we have to wait in line for ages, and that experience is more traumatic and seems to linger in our minds longer.

But here's the thing: Unfortunately, over the years, I've had family members and friends who have not only lost their memory bank cards, and, forgotten directions, as far as they were concerned, their banks had disappeared off the face of this earth forever.

So, I think I'll stick to a normal deposit and withdrawal system, thank you very much, and be grateful that my account is still open and active.

The Guv

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear guv...i keep saying as long as i'm not spitting in the street and don't know i'm doing it, then i'm just fine...oy...thanks for this comment!!!!!!!!! stay safe

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

bingo cheated!!! damn them...btw...hope you're feeling better and that the wedding is a huge success...eat something fattening for me :))) thanks for dropping in...stay safe

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

two insane dictators can bring down the world...i am still waiting for the rest of us to unite and say ENOUGH...but i'm not sure anyone is listening...ratz...i wrote to shira...really really too bad...stay safe chavaleh and again thanks for your comments

 

Post a Comment

<< Home