Monday, November 27, 2006

YOU CAN TAKE SALEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY...BUT

Some of the best commercials on television when I was growing up were the cigarette comercials.

CALL FOR PHILLIP MOOOOR-REYIS (Phillip Morris).
The Marlborough Man on his trusty steed looking like he just won the Alamo all by himeslf.
Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should.
And Salem. That was a clever commercial. You can take Salem out of the country, BUT, you can't take the country out of Salem.

Why was it so clever? The jingle ran over and over but at the end it stopped at BUT...and automatically everyone answered 'You can't take the country out of Salem.'

Smart.

Songs. They take us back down memory lane. They are symbols of when we fell in love...when we were at the Prom...when we broke up and nursed our poor hearts.

Israel is a land of song. The two most famous being, in my opinion, Hatikvah, our national anthem and Hava Nagila.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email this morning with a clip of Hava Nagila, Thai Style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RtRTx7NMA&eurl

Now, to tell you the truth, I have seen all kinds of song and dance troups playing and singing Israeli/Yiddish songs. Anyone can do a Chassidic melody and between the costumes and the dance steps know that we are back in the Shtetle.

And those bright costumes and bare footed dancers doing the Hora.

But this Hava Nagila I have never seen before.

Actually it warmed the cockles of my heart.

Go...go check it out. If Moses had made it to Thailand this is what Hava Nagila would have looked like. In the meantime I am stamping my feet, clapping my hands and smiling from ear to ear.

One more time!!! Yahoooooooooooooo.

Shavuah tov.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

15 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Thai Hava Nagila, who'd have thought...

Just when you thought that things couldn't get more strange...

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Val said...

That video made me smile - - nice way to start my day! ;)
My sister-in-law & I were just having a conversation about 'what DOES Jewish look like these days' and how there are many different ethnic Jewish groups in Israel and throughout the world.
The only thing about the video that was odd... was how can ANYONE sit during that song???!!
have a nice day.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marallyn, this is even better than the morning comics which is how I usually start my day. I love to laugh and so this clip made my day!Thank you.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom john honey...damn they were funny...have a nagila...have two nagilas...have three nagilas...they're very small...allan sherman ahhhhhh...say safe

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom val...hysterical no??? had my toes tapping and my face all smiley...bravo...and jews come in more flavours than ben and jerry's hahahaha..stay safe my dear friend

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiiiii marcy...thanks so much for dropping in...glad you liked it...my love to you and yours

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to say, "You can take salem out of the country, but you can't take jeru."
I love the clip.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Geologychick said...

Great video!! Thanks!!

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful site! I'll be back as soon as possible!


Good Luck!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks anonymous...stay safe

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks 'chick...hope all is well with you and yours...stay safe

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi miriam...great comment...very very clever...bravo...stay safe...see you soon

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it,thank you :)
Bye

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks anonymous...stay safe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home