Thursday, January 04, 2007

THOUGHTS FROM ABROAD

No, I haven't left Jerusalem. But, whenever my brother Dovidle comes to town and I move in to Bubbie Channah's for the week and a half he's here, it's just like being on vacation. No responsibilities...no cooking/shopping/cleaning/laundry...like living in a little bed and breakfast. And even more fun, it's like being kids again.

When was the last time you moved in to your Mom's place and had your sibling there with you? It's amazing.

So, wanna know what we have been doing? Get this...absolutely nothing. Now, is that great, or what? I have read a book and a half...Bubbie Channah has knitted a sweather for Dovidle's granddaughter, her great-granddaughter...Dovidle has been on the computer playing some game he loves ( boy oh boy and you thought 'bubbles' was addictive ) and since Bubbie Channah lives right in the middle of town (just above Hamashbir and a block away from the Mahaneh Yehudah, the shuk) we don't cook!!!

We lounge around in 'house clothes' and watch TV. My three kids and the babies come to visit. My husband and his brothers have taken Dovidle out for coffee and re-bonded like they do every year when he comes. Our cousins Sheldon and Tsiril surprised us one day with hot pizza and diet coke and a lovely evening of stories from today and yesterday. Sheldon and Bubbie Channah are in the Lottery business together. They buy/they try/ and one day they'll win, tfu tfu tfu.

But the truth is that I'm ready to go home. Back to my own bed...my own life. Back to teaching my students ( davka this week they are all in Eilat on school trips, yahoooo), and would you believe it back to cooking and laundry and stuff.

I guess the best part of a vacation is that it's just that...a vacation. I always think that it's made up of three parts...the planning/the doing/and the memories.

Dovidle will be returning to Boulder, Colorado on Saturday. I miss him already. And don't ask how sad Bubbie Channah is. But we are so lucky. One that he was able to get away and come visit and two that we still have each other.

Dovidle's wife takes this time to fly home to be with her own mom and sister in Springfield, Illinois. So, it works out great for both families.

I am sorry that I haven't been writing every day and visiting your blogs, but give me a couple of days and I'll be back on track.

When I thought of the title for this post I had to laugh...abroad or an old broad? I'll leave that one for you to decide.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Val said...

It all sounds wonderful... take your time, enjoy and we'll be happy to read all about it when you get back online!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger The Wedding Guide Windsor/Essex County said...

How wonderful to set aside time to spend relaxing, re-bonding and reviewing your lives - all together like peas in a pod.
I can just see you there all comfy, just content to be together. And your mother- it must be heaven-sent for her to have you all together in one place!
We have a dear friend we spend summer vacations with and, we read books, eat too much and talk alot.
It's the best battery re-charger available... the love and comfort of being with someone so special. Enjoy every single moment and cherish the time and the memory-making with gusto.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the point, isn't it! It's not where you are that matters, but who you are with!

You're always home when you are wit the people that you love.

Well done.

- John

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Leann said...

well friend sounds like a gooood time was had by all.its nice to take a visit now and then.and its nice to have brothers and sisters.I have a brother but he is a waco banana and we havent seen him in over 15 years.he didnt even visit my mom in that time,or come to her funeral.my step brother is alittle better but not by much.as for a sister I have my sister in law.she is a God send.and I have my son in laws and daughters.thank God for family you can count on.I always wanted a sister cause with my brother 8 years younger then me it was lonely.but God is good He sent me my step mother who is only 6 years older then me.she wasnt the one who broke up our family so its easy to like her.she is more like my sister or friend.glad you have a loving family.that will see you through anything.God bless you and a sweet shalom over you and your home coming we all missed you.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to having you back full-time, Marallyn. You have been missed. But time with the family is precious.

Enjoy and be safe, young lady.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks val...ahhhhh family right? you know how i feel with some of you there and others here...a sweet shabbat shalom to you and yours my friend

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom sheryl...thank you so much for dropping in...and i love peas in a pod...exactly...it is such a gift to be together...a cherished gift...shabbat shalom

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom john honey...exactly...wish you were here too...stay safe my dear friend...talk to you soon...shabbat shalom

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom leann my dear friend...i always love reading your blog and the wonderful stories you share here with me...stay safe my friend and thanks so much for dropping in...shabbat shalom

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear tim...what a blessing it is having you in my life...your kind words are like an umbrella against the storm...stay safe my friend and talk to you soon...a sweet shabbat shalom

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Batya said...

sounds loverly
(I've been watching my fair lady)
enjoy
ad me'ah v'esrim

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks muse...always a joy to hear from you...ps the rain in spain has moved to jerusalem oy lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home