Wednesday, February 21, 2007

DONTCHA JUST LOVE A GOOD BOOK?

I love reading. I love the feel of a new book in my hands and the excitement of going on an adventure with new people to new places. The smartest fellow was the one who invented the Used Book Store. Sooooooooooo smart. Here in Israel they are all over the place and almost as good as a library. We don't really have a library like there are in Canada and the States, and I miss them.

Yesterday I went to Sefer and Sefel (Book and Cup) and exchanged my old books. I got six new ones and the difference in price was only ten shekels that I owed them. Well, I did take back three times as many books as I bought but that's only fair...they have to make a living.

I love hisorical fiction. Picture this Rome 1152! Makes Bubbie Channah nuts. So I just finished a Philippa Gregory novel...The Queen's Fool. About Hannah, a Jewish girl who has 'the Sight' and ends up spying on the Princeses Mary and Elizabeth for Robert Dudly. Lovely!

Then I read, The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. Here's the first line: 'In the middle of my marriage, when I was above all Hugh's wife and Dee's mother, one of those unambiguous women with no desire to disturb the universe, I fell in love with a Benedictine monk.' Ok, tell me you aren't going to read on and find out what's going on.

Then I read, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. Dontcha wish you would have thought of that. And yes it is the book the musical comes from.

I re-read The Haj by Leon Uris and The Source by James.A. Michner. No need to add anything here.

So, wanna know what I picked up yesterday? A Stolen Tongue by Sheri Holman. It says it's an enthralling mystery set along the route of a fifteenth-centure religious pilgrimage and the lady in the store said I'd love it. I'll let you know.

The Shadow of the Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Stephen King writes that it is the real deal, a novel full of cheesy spleandour and creaking trapdoors, where even the subplots have subplots...one gorgeous read.

Birds Without Wings
by Louis de Bernieres, the man who wrote Captain Corelli's Mandolin, ahhhhhhhh.

A
nd for Bubbie Channah who is addicted to the Sopranos and to Monk, Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii, by Lee Goldberg.

That's my list for now. Would you please share your list with me? I'm always looking for a good book. And now that I'm so busy writing my own novel every day (460 pages and 130,000 words so far...sigh) I find it even more of a joy reading.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah . . . Monk. I remind myself of him. ??

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try the Harry Potter books. I think you would love them.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Leann said...

hi friend I been busy so guess I better get busy.
I been reading some books to.

1.rediscovering the kingdom{ Myles Munroe}
2.I,ll be seeing you.{Mary Higgins Clark}
3.Alex Haley,s "Queen"
also one a friend sent me from the UK.
4.Battlefield of the mind.{Joyce Meyer}
they are all very good books.winter is my time for reading its cold its snowy.
and I can sit and not feel bad about doing it.I love a story about wilderness addventures,or a good love story that isnt sappy but ture to life.
I like misterys, who done its,and anything that catches me on the first page and follows through to the end.other wise I lay it down and it stays there.

I enjoyed your joke about Hillery,and I must say I agree with the old guy.I dread the TV now because Ill have to see her on it.and I thank God for the remote and push botten peace or better yet the mute.Ahhhhh love it.one of them was far too many in the white house.
have a good day God bless.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm more into Prophecy books at this time in my life, and they are anything but fictional, but I have read some great fiction in the past. My very favorite of all time is "These is my Words" The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881 - 1901, set in the Arizona/New Mexico Territories, written by Nancy E. Turner. Then there is "The Divine Romance" by Gene Edwards. Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of my favorite authors "Dinner at Antoine's","Roses in December" and "Senator Marlowe's Daughter".

"The Fourth Dimension" by Dr. Paul Yonggi Cho and "The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread" by Richard Booker, are also great reads, although not fictional, still great reads.

I also like reading cookbooks!! Now I'm off to make something delightfully delicious to take to my friend for her birthday.

Stay safe my friend,
Chavah

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Batya said...

"You've been tagged!!"
http://me-ander.blogspot.com/2007/02/tagged-gevalt.html

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Shpitzle Shtrimpkind said...

Very interesting list of books. I'm gonna check 'em out.

Aww, there's nothing like the library.

Do you like novels only? What about biography? I like real life stories, but the enthralling ones. I always pray for a happy ending.

Dontcha hate a bad ending?

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

tim...you? monk? well maybe the fransiscan kind...sigh...hiiiiiiiiiiii honey

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

yehupitz...i love harry potter...i have all of them in two languages...thanks for reminding me...how's by you my friend?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom leann...how are you my dear friend? dontcha just love curling up with a good book??? stay safe my friend

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiiiii chavah...i love cookbooks...hope all is well with you and yours

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom muse...thanks for the tag...let's meet for coffee and pls remind me where we met before...in my old age i can't remember...vey...i'm serious...wanna meet soon?

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom shpitzle...i love biographies...any kind of book...thanks so much for dropping in...loved your post today too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home