Wednesday, October 03, 2007

ALL BECAUSE OF A PARADE

Monday, I decided enough was enough. All week long I'd been cooking and doing what had to be done for all the holidays and it was time to hang up my towel and go into town and visit Bubbie Channah.

Don't ask! It was a zoo. 742,000 people all crowded into sukkas with their family and kids screaming and running around. The truth is that it was a pleasure to see my city all gussied up for sukkot and filled with children and tourists and just simple folk like me and Bubbie Channah off for an afternoon lunch.

I can remember, not too long ago, when my city was a ghost town. That was really awful. Because of the suicide bombers, no one was in the city. Bubbie Channah lives right off King George and BenYehudah. My learning center was two blocks away right next to the shuk. So we were there all the time.

Nice to have people running around eating ice creams.

After lunch...and I have to admit that I took Bubbie Channah for an ice cream too. There is a nice place just up the street from the restaurant that has sugarless ice cream and my mom loves it.

I decided to go back to her place and just sit around for a bit rather than run back home. I had brought my knitting...yes I am back knitting...for my neice's new baby girl. Mazal tov!

At some point along the way I realized it would be stupid for me to go home. I only had to be back in the center of town the next morning as I was invited for lunch at my friend Marianne's house in Sanhedriah.

The problem was that Tuesday there was a big parade in Jerusalem. Lovely to watch...hell to navigate.

So, I stayed at Ma's house and the truth was we had a marvellous time. I really haven't slept over since she moved ten years ago. Then I used to stay every weekend until she got acclimated.

I liked it...she liked it. And I have decided that I'm going to sleep over one night a week from now on, bli neder. A pajama party with Ma. How cute is that???

Ma does not have internet access so I couldn't have stayed in touch even if I had shlepped my laptop along.

Today is another holiday...Simchat Torah. I love these holidays. Just love them. The cooking is done. The house is clean. And I think I'll take a little nap.

Chag sameach.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

7 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

chag sameach Simchat Torah my friend!..relax but remember to enjoy!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Val said...

We'll be going to the Temple tonight after work and making some kind of Simchat Torah craft and then making all kinds of noice while we unwrap and rewrap the Torah. I love the mayhem of this holiday! Should be fun.

That's cute about having a sleepover with your Ma. Good for both of you.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Sounds so fun!!!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny. I've had a taste for ice cream lately myself. Wonder what that's all about???

How wonderful that you and you Momma get to have P.J. parties together. You are so blessed to have such a sweet relationship with Bubbie. Wish I could meet her. She has to be a truly beautiful person to have raised such a wonderful daughter.

Holidays in Israel sound wonderful! For a whole nation to join together and celebrate the Festivals...in unity...a rare thing indeed. Our holidays are now a source of competition and contention between religious factions. So those in authority have decided not to allow ANY religious displays. Brilliant!

Ummm, where was I. Oh, give Bubbie a hug for me, and you all stay safe!

P.S. Our congregation celebrated Tabernacles last night...decorated our sukkah with citrus, date palm branches, myrtle and willow (but didn't sleep there) and our Hebraic Dance troupe performed. What a blessing!

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to live there. Not just because I love the City, but because of all the holidays.

I really like the header of your blog, Marallyn.

God bless.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Batya said...

enjoy m'dear
Holiday's over, back to real life.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom woman...thank you so much...and you too

hi val...i think i am having more fun at my mom's than she is...yahoooo

shalom jungle...so good to hear from you

ah chavaleh...you are the best

thanks tim...would love to have you living around the corner...yahooooo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home