Saturday, May 17, 2008

ANOTHER MIRACLE IN THE HOLY LAND

Well President Bush and Laura and all the fancy people have gone home after a week of meetings and ceremonies celebrating Israel's 60th.

I listened carefully to what everyone said. I watched the body language and smiles and tears. And, I cried along with them.

But, the man who stood out for me was our Presidnt Shimon Peres.

Now, I am, and never have been, a fan of our President. My wariness of him goes back a long way.

But...let me tell you he is brilliant in this job. Brilliant.

I recently watched a YouTube clip where he spoke to a graduating high school class. It was held in the school's gym and was very informal. The only sign of importance was that there were security men in the background.

Peres spoke softly to these kids. He told them not to listen to their parents or teachers or friends. That this group of people found fault, looked for what was lacking, or was simply jealous.

Instead, the kids should look into their own hearts and see how special they all are. Even more special then they, themselves knew.

He told them not to pay attention to history! That history was in the past and dead. But, instead, to look towards the future. To dare...to trust themselves...to dream and not worry if anyone was laughing at them.

He spoke of the future revolving around technology, water, and nanotechnology. And what their role would be in shaping the world.

I was spellbound. Me! Peres!!!

Then I watched him this week and listened to his speeches.

The truth is that only Shimon Peres could have attracted this amazing group of people to come here for the President's Conference. You know who they were. You read the articles in your newspapers and watched TV.

And I listened and watched President Bush. He was touched and he touched me.

And I listened to Bibi...our Leader of the Opposition. Great speeches.
And Dalia Itzik...our Speaker of the Knesset. She used to be my neighbour and she is not a woman to be taken lightly. But, she gave some great speeches. Strong words. So, I'm watching her carefully too.

And then Obama tried to steal the limelight and point a finger at President Bush. My Daddy, AH used to say, 'Marallyn, every time you point a finger at someone, remember that you are pointing three more back at yourself.'

Since when is the American election so personal and how come everyone is pussyfooting around this terrible man? I still have absolutely NO idea why anyone would vote for him. Can you explain this to me? Ok, I get the idea about CHANGE...but has he said what change? The man is surrounded by bad guys. The man and his wife are scary.

And for the cherry on the ice cream...Hamas LOVES OBAMA!

Sigh.

Ok, back to my miracle. I think I fell in love with Shimon Peres this week. I guess the old Yiddish expression...Ahz mehn lebt, derlebt mehn is right. If you live long enough you can experience everything.

Shabbat shalom to you all.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful thing to make a heartfelt connection with our leaders. We may not agree with everything they propose, but we can respect them. They are good men who love their country.

I fully agree with your assessment of Obama & company. It makes no sense to me as I do not see the charisma that so many others see. I see disaster. What is even more disconcertng is the chance that if Obama wins, and the House and Senate follow suit, "change" will come to America in spades, and I don't think it's the kind of change people think they will be getting. May G-d have mercy on America, and Israel if this happens.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I cringe at the thought of the Change Obama will bring us!!!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your letter was great!as for Obama I was wondering is our country america going crazy!why why vote for this guy ?then I saw your letter and I will tell you great minds think a like .
I

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I appreciate hearing your view.
Susan

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marallyn sweetie,

I couldn't tell if you were kidding in your admiration of Peres. "Don't listen to your parents or teachers. The future is in water and nanotech."

That appealed to you.
Sorry zeeskeit. That's the same nonsense that got us into all this Oslo tzuris. "Technology and salination and free trade agreements will solve all the problems in the Middle-East." Right. Vee a loch in kop. Every year when I say "Ela sheb'chol dor vador omdim aleinu l'chalosinu" I think of that man. And your post inadvertently strengthened that conviction.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger JJ said...

I hope the American voters are not stupid enough to elect Obama president. The man obviously doesn't have a clue about foreign policy and the terror that exists in this world. What's really frightening is that the crazed left-wing media LOVES him and goes out of its way to make him look as good as possible, even ignoring his gaffes so as not to make him look even slightly bad. And yes, the fact that the most evil terrorists in the world endorse him should be enough to keep anyone with half a brain from voting for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home