Saturday, May 03, 2008

A QUICK UPDATE

Just a quick note...well maybe not so quick to thank you all for your emails and phone calls. We are doing much better and grateful for all we have. The love of family and friends helps heal wounds and although they are still there, they aren't nearly as raw as they were.

So ask me what's new?

Last week my husband phoned and said he's bringing home a turkey. Well, actually he asked if I wanted a turkey. I said SURE.

When my babies were very young, they started selling turkeys in Israel and I bought one. My oldest, who was about fourteen at the time thought it was a pretty huge chicken. The other two kids looked at me as if I'd lost my mind and we were stuck eating turkey for over a week.

That was the end of the turkey in my house.

Instead, I go to Rena's every year for Thanksgiving...not a huge holiday in Canada but a biggie in the US of A. And every year we 'pig out' you should excuse the expression on turkey/stuffing/mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes/two kinds of cranberry sauce/pecan pie/corn bread/gravy...and a gazillion other things that I can't remember right now that Rena makes. Each dish is gorgeous and to die for...trust me on this one.

Well, when my husband called I was at lunch with Bubbie Channah, Rena and a friend of hers from England. I immediately covered the phone and asked Rena if she would give me her recipe for turkey and she said SURE.

Rena and I share recipes all the time. We both spend a great deal of time being creative in the kitchen.

So, I told my husband to bring home the bird. Actually a big bird. Fifteen kilo of turkey for Joe College, hubby and myself is a lot of turkey. Then I figured if we cut it in half lengthwise we will not be chewing and swearing for a week.

Well, my dears. I spent yesterday morning plucking the feathers that were still on the bird and then I roased it, made a bread stuffing (again Rena) and mashed potatoes (I know how to make those all by myself).

It came out gorgeous! Wanna come for turkey? I've got lots.

It was fun making something new and watching my family enjoy their meal.

Godda go. Have to write the astrology column for the Jerusalem Post and then forge ahead with Emma. It is much easier now that all the characters are in place and their personalities re-defined. Re-writing is hard...like putting new pieces into an already established puzzle. But, it is sure worth the effort. I'll let you know how it's coming. Hope to have the entire re-write finished by the end of this months. Tfu, tfu, tfu.

Hope you have a wonderful shabbat.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

I didn't get to read your whole blog...seems I've missed something...but I'm praying for you! I love your sense of humor ALWAYS and yes, I'd like some turkey! Blessings, Cara

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

All that turkey is good for insomnia. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home