Friday, July 28, 2006

The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!

During the Yom Kippur War we were fighting for our lives on three fronts. To tell you the truth, it was scary as hell. My husband, two brothers-in-law and one sister-in-law were fighting. The husbands of all my friends were fighting.

For days and days the news was bleak and the women sat around listening to the radio, and for those who had television, the tv.

I remember I had to put up blackout curtains on all the windows. I had to use a special paint on the headlights and backup lights of our car. I remember the paint was blue and only a little dot was left free so you could see to drive at night.

Every night I went downstairs with my baby son to watch tv with Shoshi, my neighbour. She was originally from England and whenever I didn't understand anything, she translated for me.

Then, one night, the man on the news said that the Russians were massing their troops and getting ready to come to the Middle East to help Egypt.

THE RUSSIANS???!!!??? We're dead, I thought. I knew in my heart that we would be able to push back the Egyptians, Syrians, and Jordanians...I just knew it.

But, the Russians?

I panicked. I'm ashamed to tell you, but the first thing I thought of was how could I pack up every single person I knew in Israel and get the hell out of there before the Red Army arrived.

That lasted for about five seconds. But the fear lasted much longer. Actually, until I realized that the Russian Bear wasn't on his way here to make a sandwich out of us I kept listening to the news and prayed.

Yesterday, for the first time in thirty-three years, I felt that same fear turn my blood cold. Israel announced that it was calling up three more divisions of milluimnikim...30,000 men!!! May G-d protect them and keep them safe!

I watched the 'talking heads' discuss our situation. One retired general, about my age, said that this war started in 2000, the moment that we abandoned Lebanon. Then he added that we are now fighting for our right to exist as the battle is not with Hisbollah...it is with Iran and they won't be satisfied until the Middle East is Yudden Rein.

He added that if Nasrallah is hiding in the Iranian Embassy then we have to blow it up immediately.

All the other retired generals who were sitting around the table simply nodded their heads.

We're dead, I thought. And remembered the Russians and Yom Kippur.

I know in my heart that we will survive. And that Jerusalem will be ours forever and ever. And we will fight for her and keep her.

And the sons of Ishmael cannot have her. And they can't have Israel. They have been making trouble since Abraham had to kick them out and send them packing.

If it was written that the mamzers were to live here then G-d wouldn't have given Israel to Moses.

So move over you bullies. This is the country of miracles and I, for one, still believe in them.

Hazak v' Amatz...Strong and Brave!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed by this powerful piece.

Anything that I could say, would be unworthy and an annoying distraction.

The Guv

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KOL HA KAVOD!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marallyn... these are GREAT! Been having fun sending this one to this person and that one to that person. Hey! I can retire... I don't need to write anymore!! LOVE YOU! Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home