Sunday, September 10, 2006

SHAKE RATTLE AND ROLL

A little before eight o'clock yesterday morning, I was sitting at the computer, doing some work. when I felt the building shake.

We live on the sixth floor of a very nice building. From my front window I can see the Malka Mall and beyond that the nighbourhood of Gilo. The famous Gilo where terrorists shot at the people daily during the last intifada. Because there is a valley between Gilo and my apartment the acoustics are perfect for hearing every little noise. So, today I can recognize the sound of automatic weapons being fired, tanks shooting, missiles being fired, and just plain fireworks going off to celebrate someone’s wedding. A talent I didn’t have while growing up in Windsor, Ontario.

Now where was I? Oh, yes. At the computer. The building began to shake.

My husband ran out of the living room and asked, “Did you feel that?”

Of course I did. And for any of you who have never ‘felt the earth move under your feet’, I can assure you it’s not a great feeling. For those few seconds you freeze in place and all your senses are highly tuned into ‘fight of flight’ mode. Usually, by the time you figure out what to do, it’s over. But you never forget it.

I remember the first time. You never forget your first time.

The kids were little and everyone was still asleep. I got up early and was in the bathroom when all of a sudden I began to shake all over.

EPILEPSY!!! I thought…I’m having an epileptic seizure!!! What else could it be? It never occurred to me that it was an earthquake. I’d never experienced an earthquake. In Windsor we had occasional tornados but never an earthquake.

Epilepsy!

I got up and walked into the living room where I saw the piano bench moving along the floor and the light fixture swaying from the ceiling. That ain’t epilepsy I thought and realized what had just happened. See, I’m a college graduate and considered to be rather bright. Yah right!!!

OK LORD. I get it. A little warning from on high? Fire and brimstone on the way?

Every morning I say tehilim, psalms. A long story which I will probably tell you another time. But I really feel good with my tehilim. My meditation time with G-d.

So, I took out my book of psalms, sat in my rocking chair that my husband bought me 33 years ago when our oldest was born and davened.

4.3 on the Richter Scale. An eensy weensy teensy earthquake. But we are sitting on some kakamaymee fault and I was really hoping that YOUKNOWWHO would forget all about that. Silly me. He never sleeps and He never forgets. And in these days before the High Holy Days, He’s making a list. He doesn’t have to check it twice because he’s YOUKNOWWHO and not HOHOHO.

In the meantime, just in case you thought I was getting boring, we had an earthquake folks.

Have a great day…stay safe…and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case we thought you are getting, WHAT ?

I've known you for forty-one years now, and I can attest to the fact that you have been an "original" since the first day that we met. Bubbie Chanah would probably tell us that you have been that way since the day that you left her womb. But, now, listen, Giveret, I have something to tell you. Through no fault of your own ( Thousands and thousands can also call it home ), you have become deliciously odd. It's because you have been living in Israel for so many years. More specifically, you have been living in Jerusalem for so many years. Natural disasters, man-made turmoil, religious crazies, impossible weather, international distain..... All of these things and more ( At one time: sporadic lighting in the hallways of buildings; only several hours of hot water per day; women riding the buses with live chickens; no Tim Horton's ), all these things have turned you into a CHARACTER OF MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS. They could come up with a biblical comic book heroine using you as their model. They could create a 44-part t.v. mini-series based on your life. The late Alan Sherman a.h. could put together an entire album singing your praises.... 10 different songs. Ten on EACH SIDE, if you please !

You? Boring ? Yeah, right !!

The Guv

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ahhhhhhhh guv...and i feel the same about you...stay safe

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God keeps giving you material and you run with it. :))) Boring? NEVER!!!!!

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was so disappointed that I didn't even feel it! It MAY have to do with
living on karka... or... with having lived on the ring of fire in alaska and
knowing when to grab the floor because the whole earth was reeling to and
fro... but... oh well...i missed it! I DID hear about it however, but your
description was MUCH better! LOVE YOU! joan

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my word how incredible and the earth shook in Florida as well.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, being a transplant from California where they shake, rattle and roll frequently, I know exactly how you felt! The experience will strike terror in ones heart for sure. The biggiest one I've ever been in was 6.8...never want to do it again! I think that one added a few grey hairs to my head. I was fortunate to have moved to NM by the time the 8.4 hit in the early 1980's.

Living on the 6th floor during an earthquake would magnify the motion. I'm glad to know you are safe and your heart didn't stop!

Bless you my friend. I love reading your wonderful blog. What a beautiful gift you have.

Shalom & hugs,
Chavaleh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home