Monday, October 16, 2006

FIRE!!!

Once, I read that if you are being attacked in the street, don't yell HELP, yell FIRE!!! People tend isolate themselves. Not my problem. Not going to get involved. Hey, maybe a fight between a husband and a wife...etc.

But, if you yell FIRE the neighbours all come outside to make sure that it isn't going to spread to their house and put them in danger.

As I read this morning that the police are encouraging the attorney general to indict President Katzav for rape all I could think of was...Es brent, briderlekh, es brent. It's burning, brothers, it's burning.

This song was written by Mordechai Gebirtig following a pogrom in the Polish town of Przytyk in 1936. Gebertig was born in Krakow in 1877, and worked as a carpenter while writing songs. In October 1940, he and his family were sent to Lagiewniki, a sub-camp of Auschwitz. He was shot by the Germans on "Bloody Thursday," June 4, 1942. Es Brent was sung in the ghettos and camps, and is one of the most frequently performed songs commemorating the Holocaust.

http://www.hebrewsongs.com/song-esbrent.htm

If he did it, then I'm glad they got him.

I'm just ashamed that he did it, if...

Mein shteteleh brent.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

4 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought of that one - but once in an apartment in Petach Tiqwa I smelt smoke; opened the door and the hallway was full of it. I panicked shouted out FIRE FIRE and not a door opened. I called my husband and he said "its nothing". I saw the police arrive. Someone had set fire to a baby carriage locked on the railings of the stairs. Someone was trying to say something to a person living there. Everyone stayed in their apartments and never said a word!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi frances...thanks for dropping in...i don't know about your neighbours, but if i ever heard anyone yell FIRE, i'd sure want to know what is going on...scary

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Leann said...

we live in a apartment and the drill is if the bell rings we are to stand out side our doors tell someone comes to tell us if we are going to burn to death or not!!! so we stand there and 10 or 15 minutes later the fire , and hall moniter come and say its was just a false alarm.now now if it wasn,t we would have been fryed 10 times over.but go figure they think that is a good Idia.well if I smell smoke I don,t wait around.I leave by the stairs.people are werid.they would stand there and die if someone didn,t tell them to leave.its sad.but what do you do?there are alot of people in wheel chairs on or floor.we live on the 7th floor the wheel chair people should be on the lower floors.have a good day and God bless you.shalom from the USA.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

i'd run like hell...then feel foolish if it was a false alarm...better to be safe than sorry...thanks for dropping in leann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home