Tuesday, November 14, 2006

MY MIND IS LIKE A VIDEO WITH FEELINGS

Today as I was teaching one of my students he looked at me and said, in perfect English, 'My mind is like a video with feelings'.

Whoa! Say that again...my mind is like a video with feelings.

Effi, (not his real name) was standing next to the bus when it blew up. He ran to help whoever he could. He was in eleventh grade. Effi's had numerous psychological problems ever since. One more of the walking wounded.

But I've been thinking of that sentence all day. My mind is like a video with feelings...how gorgous, how spectacularly gorgeous.

Who was it said, 'A mind is a terrible thing to waste'?

When all the bombs were blowing up around me, I began making deals with God.

Dear God,
I need my brain. So please watch over my head. I need my eyes and ears. See, I write a lot and have two granchildren and love to hear their laughter or the sound of their voices as they call me Bubbie. I need my hands and arms...computer, knitting, tapestries.

I know what God...take a foot. You can have a foot.

Terrible to make deals like that with God.

And then, a year ago, I slipped in the kitchen on a patch of water. No, not really slipped...I did my imitation of Sonia Heinie doing the splits! And to make matters even worse, I did a repeat performance two weeks later.

Since then I've thrown out those shoes.
Since then I've got a twinge...a creak...a pain I didn't have before.
Since then I have a slight limp when I don't get up correctly.
Crich...Crich ( to rhyme with ich ich ).
Don't ask.

See, a person has to be careful when making a deal with God.

But, just between us, boy am I glad I only bargained off a foot.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

14 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Val said...

Better you should just be grateful for what you have and not make any more deals with your precious body, k?!!!! You're just asking for trouble!
Stay safe.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Daniel Greenfield said...

maybe it's better to offer G-d things we can do with parts of our bodies than the body parts themselves

feet can be used to walk to visit the sick...etc

may you stay safe and be well

shalom u'bracha

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Oh my! Take care, those splits can be dangerous.
I once slipped in water on the stone kitchen floor..ouch, I was limping for weeks and weeks from it.
I am glad you are okay though.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks lemon lime moon and thanks for dropping in...i love your blog...

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

NOW you tell me??? :))) thanks sultan...great advice...will do...and thanks for dropping in...stay safe...

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks val...at the time no one knew who would be coming home safely...so i figured i would have a chat with HaShem...and once again i am reminded to be careful what you wish for lol...stay safe...

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just adore the way you write !

The Guv

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks guv...high praise coming from you...nishikot

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing up an issue that is forgotten everytime there was a bombing. The number that sticks out in the headlines are the deaths. But we often forget the hundreds of lives ruined by serious injuries; physical and psychological/emotional.

-----

By the way, deals like the kind you made are discouraged by frum culture on the grounds of "Al Tiftach Peh L'Satan", which roughly translates to "Don't offer any working suggestions to the devil"

Can't you just anthropomorphize that? The existential trouble-maker sitting in a recliner, chuckling and saying, "Hey! Break a foot?! I didn't think of THAT one. Marallyn, good one. Shkoyach! I'll suggest it to the Boss and see what he thinks..."

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Leann said...

Hi friend.the truth is God doesn,t send the mixed up junk in our lives.and he don,t take terroist to teach us anything.HE IS A GOOD God and He loves his kids.He came to give us life and that life more abondantly.when I had cancer I learned where the junk comes from and it aint from God.we have a enemy and its not God.when in trouble just say "Lord help me" and He will.I truned to him and He healed me.I should have been dead 10 years ago.this old body of mine has a spirit inside,and one day it will leave this old shell and wing its way to heaven.and this old tent will be buryed.but I will be very much alive.its my spirit that keeps this body going.and its the Lord who give his spirit to comfort me and help me to be safe.Psalm 91 is the one to stand on in this evil time we live in.shalom and stay under Gods wing always.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hey yehupitz...wondered where you disappeared to...let me know what the Boss says...and yes you are right...asur liftoach peh l'satan tfu tfu tfu

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

bless you leann...stay safe my friend...

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

Deal or no Deal, I say no deal, I am afrais we are just not smart enough to making with God, although I have tried in the past and failed terribly, you never mentioned you were a gymnist and could do splits, can you do back flips too, second thought better not try, nice post and what a terrific saying

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

oy cheated, if i could do back flips lolol...nope i think occasional splits where i scare myself silly is enough for me...thanks for dropping in my friend...stay safe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home