Sunday, January 21, 2007

THE BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN

I knew exactly what I was going to do today. I was going to get up...daven...blog and visit bloggers...write another chapter of 'Emma Shelby is No More' my novel (I am finally into the last third and heading for the post...sigh)and roast a chicken with vegetables...make mashed potatoes...go through my e-mails...wait for my student and then hustle my bustle to pick up sweetsie tootsie from his gan (nursery school). Sweetsie girl is being brought to me by a nice neighbour, thank you very much.

Then the phone rang. And it was my friend Rena. She is HOT and I am YES. No, nothing sexy and/or exciting, HOT is her cable server, and mine is YES. Hot is taking off BBC Prime and mine is not.

Of course she did. She moved to YES. On Thursday. I helped her. But...and here comes the exciting part...they forgot to mention that they were disconnecting her from her internet server and that she had a slew of stuff to do in order to be reconnected. VEY.

Now Rena cooks. She is a great cook. She is even what you would call an expert cook. But Rena knows squat about stuff that has to be plugged in anywhere. Squat/gornisht/nada/klum!

I know a little more that she does and together we manage to limp along in the technical world.

I will make a very long story short by telling you that Rena has now been disconnected, by mistake, from the internet since Thursday.

This morning she called me beside herself and I called YES and we had a conference call. Dontcha just love how that sounds? And I explained the story to Shabbi and he said that he would love to help but she has to go to Bezek ( our version of Ma Bell) and pick up the modum and then connect it.

Connect it? Herself? I don't think so!!!

Add to this mixture the fact that it was pouring rain. I mean pouring.

So picture this, I am standing in my living room in the all together wrapped in a towel trying to talk to Shabbi. Rena is standing in her living room in the altogether and I don't know if she has a towel while she is talking to Shabbi. There is no heat in either of our houses as we don't leave it on at night. Freezing and gorgeous, I mean pictures of lovliness the two of us are trying to get her computer connected.

Nope. Nothing to be done. We have to go to the Bezek Store downtown. She quickly dresses. I quickly dress. We drive downtown to the Bezek Store next to the Central Bus Station and of course there isn't a parking place. Why should there be a parking place?

But am I not the White Witch of Jerusalem? Of course I am. Not only did I steer us to a parking place but I got the rain to stop while we were running from the car to the Bezek Store. Yahooooooooooo I love it when it works.

The bottom line is we got the farkakteh modum, we got back home safely, the chicken and vegetables are roasting in the oven, the potatoes are cooking on the stove, I checked my emails, I'm writing to you, and I still have a half hour to daven before my student arrives.

Ptew! Not a bad morning's work.

So from me to you, a sweet shavuah tov.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

14 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Vicky said...

LOVE your style! :)

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Computers...they're the bain of my existence!! They crash without cause, they glitch, they krechtz..all the things I'd like to do! So? Did you fix everything on your gal pal's machine? I was speaking with The Guv this morning. She called, upset 'cause she forgot to call yesterday on my B.D. I told her not to fret. I love her and getting her call today was BETTER than getting one yesterday when EVERYONE called me.
RIGHT? She filled me in on the Latin y'all were using a few blogs back. Gotta remember the 'always wear under-wear' one. Hope dinner's good. I'm cooking the 'other' white meat for C for dinner. He'll think he died and went wherever 'white meat eaters' go. LOVE YOU! More anon....P.S. I got 18..missed #6 & #16.

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Something about the towels and the HOT and the YES totally threw me while reading. lol

Glad it all worked out. Usually, when I set a plan for the day, all h*** breaks loose and I never get anything done. Just goes to show, you handle it better than I . . . ah, me.

Take care and be safe.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

I was just wondering what you do for excitment on the off days, a busy morning by the sounds of it, you should be strapping on the cable guys tool belt and answering your new calling in life as the cable guy, or women,

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Val said...

You sure pack a lot in your day, kiddo! :) Made me tired to read it all! (Love the 'powers' that you seem to have!!)
Have a great day.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are times each day when you are actually NUDE? Wow! You're either brave, or gorgeous of form.

ME? I'm NEVER without clothes. Even wear a fisherman's oil slicker when I take a shower...That way when I whip back the shower curtain, just in case the huge mirror opposite the tub isn't completely fogged up, I don't scare myself silly or induce instant nausea.

The Guv

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom vicky...thanks sooooooooo much...i love your writing too...a lot

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiii rickelle...again happy happy b'day...the guv is da best, i agree...hope your dinner was wonderful...white meat is good if you dunk it in mayo and ketchup lololol...thanks for dropping in...stay safe

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

gotcha tim lololol...there is a yiddish expression that goes like this: Mehn tracht, un Gott lacht...loosely translated it means men think and God laughs...life is what happens when you are busy making plans...oy...hugs and thanks for dropping in my friend

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom cheated...so nice to hear from you...ah honey if i could keep up that pace every day i would be a tap dancer lolol...oy...stay safe my friend

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiiii val...godda keep moving so the bones don't creak...ooops too late...stay safe my good friend and thanks for dropping in

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

guv my darling why in the world would anyone put a mirror opposite the loo or shower??? you godda be a serious masochist or else it's one of those trick mirrors that no matter how you look at it you see marily monroe looking back at you...now if we could invent that we would be gazillionairs...quick think of something...stay safe kiddo

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but aren't you the nice witch of the North?

I ALREADY know the wicked witch of the west!

Have a great week!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hahahahahaha john...oy!!!...lolol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home