Tuesday, January 16, 2007

COMFORT FOOD...OR HOW I LOST TEN KILO AFTER DIETING FOR 53 YEARS

Comfort food. When things get tough what do you reach for?

Here is my list:
chocolate
cream of wheat
serious chocolate...for extra special tension
anything with yeast
peanut butter
pasta
pecan pie

And any combination of the above. For example, did you know that pop corn and chocolate are wonderful together?

During the first intifada I perfected my list. I added to it and subrtracted from it. I shared it with friends and listened to their list.

See, on October 4, 1994 I quit smoking. Just like that. Well, not exactly just like that but in 24 hours I was a new man...er I mean...you know what I mean.

So, no more cigarettes. Tried gum for awhile till it started pulling out my crowns and I had them staring back at me in my hand. Not a pretty sight. And the diet candy works like beans if you eat enough of them. That's more information than you need to know :).

So, all of you will be extremely proud of me when I tell you that last night, with my swollen face and plugged up sinuses, and antibiotics three times a day I did not reach for my list.

Maybe it was that I figured, 'What the hell, I can't taste anything anyway...'
Nah! That never stopped me before.

Whatever it is, I have to tell you that I was so full of tea with lemon that I didn't even think of anything else.

Am I going to be an alfalfa person? Will I drink carrot juice and those little watercress sandwiches without the crust?

You should see the look of amazement on everyone's face when I walk into the health food stores. HAHAHA.

See, my idea of a great sandwich has pastrami and cole slaw involved or grilled cheese as one of the ingredients.

I don't know if I have kicked the list, but I think I have got it on a back burner for a bit. Yahoooooooooo for me.

What's your list? There is still room on my dance card to add more and who knows, in a case of emergency I may only have your stuff in my cupboard. Be a sport. Share.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

11 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll share. Here's my list:



Nothing. Well maybe a square or two of chocolate but that's it. Is anyone jealous? Don't be. You don't want my problems.
Marallyn: keep the list on the back burner and it'll soon burn away.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiii miriam...lucky you...will do my best...like climbing up a hill...one step at a time...see you soon and thanks for dropping in...stay safe

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh MAN! Cream of wheat and Pecan Pie!

You can get more comfort than that!

Oh, and a good macaroni and cheese!

Feel better. Later, I'll come by and raid your kitchen and carry it all away from you. (of course, only for your own good.)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Hi Marallyn

Sorry to hear your ill.

Starve a cold feed a fever theory?

Hmmmmm. I don't do the comfort food thing. I did have a love affair with Godiva raspberry dark chocolate truffle icecream for a good month. YUMMY!

When I need comfort I take a hot bath with wonderfully relaxing smelly bath salts in it and candle light. Oh and a good book....

I've even been known to grab my running shoes and do the run walk thing down by the lake.

sitting on my patio with a glass of shiraz star gazing...

yaking on the phone with everyone on my cell phone list...

Driving way to fast down country roads sunroof and windows open radio blarring. night time preferably.

Replace the food with an activity you love.

Did you know that when your stomach growls three times the body takes a meal from a fat store. Now if I could only choose which store it takes it from that would be fantastic.

Have you ever tried waking up in the morning, no eating or drinking, and seeing how long it takes for your stomach to growl.

Only eat when your tummy growls.

Eat what you want but only half of your normal portion. Eat with utinsals and set them down while you are chewing. Close your eyes and savor ever bite.

I lost 4o lbs back in the 90's during Thanksgiving and Christmas changing some habits.

homemade chocolate chip pancakes with chuncky organic peanut butter on top. HEAVEN

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy post!
Reauben sandwiches
Home-made Macaroni and cheese-with real cheddar cheese and other cheeses
Pizza-with lots of sausage and cheese
Hmm..probably soup/stew for a little less comfort needs:)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

john!!! maccaroni and cheese...how could i forget macaroni and chees...how are you my good friend? i miss you...thanks for dropping in

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks sheila...forgot ice cream...and ahhhhh godiva...stomach growls are interesting...if i ever try it i'll let you know...chocolate chip pancakes? with peanut butter??? woohoo...great about you taking off the weight and keeping it off...thanks for dropping in

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Vicky said...

I'm a meat eater, who can't stand the thought of hurting an animal. I'm conflicted...constricted....consti...err, confused? Gotta Love Pasta!

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm pancakes with peanut butter and syrup. That's the only way to eat them! Same goes for french toast. Gotta have peanut butter and maple syrup.

My comfort foods are peanuts or almonds or any pastry that is cream-filled and gooey. Popcorn with white chocolate drizzled on it is wonderful. Cheetos or Tostitos and salsa or bean dip are also a staple. A slice of bread with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Put it in the oven and bake it until sugar melts. Hmmmmm, so tasty! Think I'll go make one right now.

I'll think about Sheila's suggestions....tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon my friend. Stay safe.
Hugs,
Chavah

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Leann said...

say you wrote my list.those are mine to.pecan pie and ice cream OOOOOOOOOOO yummy.God bless.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy Chavah!
I will have to try that...peanut butter is a fav as well. Peanut butter and chocolate..peanut butter mixed in cocoa wheats..peanut butter
out of the jar!! Peanut butter cookies..how could I forget such a perfect treat?!:)
Elvis liked peanut butter grilled/fried sandwiches..yumm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home