Friday, March 09, 2007

SHABBAT SHALOM

Shabbat shalom. I have a half hour to get this post out before shabbat comes in. Nu, so today I made two different kinds of chicken and gondi. What's gondi? Ahhhhhhhhh.

I got this recipe from a Persian friend of mine. Here it is:
-one half kilo of chopped meat (today I used chopped turkey)
-one cup of raw rice
-one chopped onion
-one can of chick peas
-condiments to taste: chicken soup powder/freshly ground pepper/hawayez/tumeric/paprika

-chop the onion fine and add it and the rice to the chopped meat
-add the condiments
-mix well
-fill a pot half full of water and add the same condiments that you added to the meat
-bring to a boil
-add the chick peas
-make ping-pong size balls and drop them gently into the 'soup'
-cook for at least a half hour
-great over rice
B'tayavon (bon apetite)

The weather is beginning to get warm and soon my friend Rena and I will go back to our favourite breakfast place next to the gas station in Nayot. A branch of Angel's bakery. You know the breakfast. Two scrambled eggs/salad/coffee. Now if I was back in Canada I would go out with the Guv and have pancakes and French toast and stuff...sigh.

The best part of going to that place for breakfast is that the 'Parliament' meet there every Friday morning. I don't know who these guys are, but there are about fifteen of them who meet and eat and celebrate birthdays together.

In the beginning they sat far away from us. Then slowly they moved their tables next to us when they realized that we could overhear them and laughed at their jokes. Nu, we couldn't help it. They are the most interesting group of men. We think that they must have been in the army together because there isn't much that they seem to have in common. Some are Israeli, some are South African, some are...well I don't know much more about them except that they are really smart and really up on what is going on here in the country. The big guy is a journalist, I think.

The last time we were there for breakfast was before the winter set in. See everyone sits outside and it's kinda really nice. Well, if you forget that you are in a gas station. I don't want any of you to think I'm talking about the Hilton or anything. Sigh.

I miss the Parliament. A group of very smart men eating outrageously fattening breakfasts. See, their wives aren't there to nudge them about their weight or sugar intake. During the last intifada they ate comfort food. These big guys were drinking hot cocoa and ordering entire cakes which they shared.

When one of them has a birthday it's even more fun. Candles and songs and everyone applauds.

Nice, no?

Soon it will be warm again to sit outside and listen to the Parliament solve all the problems of this country. I would elect the big guy to be Prime Minister. Yup, he would have my vote. He reminds me of Abba Evan...that is who he reminds me of...and look how smart HE was.

Ok, godda go get ready to light candles.

A sweet shabbat shalom to you all.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Geologychick said...

Yum Yum! Shabbat Shalom!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Batya said...

Shavua tov
Nothing like Jerusalem!

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask that Persian friend to show you how to make another kind of gondi. mixing meat and chickpea flour together with lots of cumin. Its yummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home