Sunday, April 22, 2007

YOM HA ZIKARON, REMEMBERANCE DAY

I don't know about you, but all of a sudden Spring crept up on me. There I was just getting ready to hibernate a bit and Pessach is over, Yom HaShoah is over and tonight is Rememberance Day for our fallen soldiers and terror victims.

In case you don't know, Israel is a magnificent country. And even though we do have our moments of shame, we have our hours of glory.

Since I moved here in 1970...wow 1970...unfortunately, I too have lost friends through war and terrorist attacks. They are never forgotten.

Tonight at 8:00 there will be a siren and the entire country will stand at attention remembering our lost friends and neighbours. Tomorrow morning there will be another siren and the cemeteries will be filled with families going to visit the graves of their loved ones.

I live up the street from Har Herzl...Mount Herzl. The streets will be blocked by cars and busses making their way to the Military Cemetery. It is beyond sad.

For twenty-four hours the television will broadcast stories of soldiers who lost their lives defending us.

The members of the Knesset will be speaking at various ceremonies...talking about their own lost comrads.

Twenty-four hours of special music on the radio. Twenty-four hours of the names of each and every person lost being read out loud on one of the television channels. We never forget.

It is good to remember. It is good to honour our fallen. It is beyond difficult emotionally to survive the next twenty-four hours.

May not one more name be added to the long, long list.

Have a good day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Susan said...

We all need to do more "remembering" and more pausing in our lives. I like that you have the clock on your site so I know what time it is there. It is 6:35 a.m. here as I write and 2:35 p.m. there.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

yeah, they give so much. the least we can do is remember them.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

May I say how deeply touched I was to read your post of Remembrance Day in Israel for the many soldiers and terrorist victims also.

I have always had a fond affection for Israel (whilst never have I been), and yet I feel so close to her people and to the land of Israel.

It is a moving tribute to those who are no longer with you, in that all will stand to attention as well as families attending the graves, and of the sirens too.

We can learn so much from Israel and how your nation pays homage, especially in remembrance of those who have died in war and of terrorist actions.

Thank you once again for writing this moving tribute post and one in which I shall always remember.

Blessings to you.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger TO BECOME said...

I love Israel also. I know there have been many who have fought and died for the people of Israel and may God bless each family that has lost loved ones or friends in this way. God bless you, connie from Texas

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom penless...i agree...the clocks are good...thanks for dropping in

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

morgan i really like your name...thanks for dropping in...i just went to your blog too...

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

peter you are welcome to come visit any time...i'm still hoping to visit your wonderful country one day...thanks so much for your comment...thanks

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom connie and God bless you and yours too

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Amen to your prayer that no more names are ever added.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so happy to ehar they do this in Israel! I wish we did more towards remembering our wonderful heros here in the states. We have memorial day and Veteran's Day, but it seems that many don't really stop and think about what those days are really for.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I think Penless is correct, we need to remember more.

I must say though that I remember all that Israel has suffered for being Gds chosen people, I weep every time I hear of another homicide bomber.

I pray that not another attack takes place, but I am afraid that your country is hated more than ours by the terrorist. Not by much mind you, but just a bit more.

I am glad to be in such company, as one that is hated by evil.

May you have a blessed week!

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

Wow...you have an awesom country and wonderful, truly meaningful "holidays". God bless! I am Morgan's mom, and my son, Ethan, is a budding writer. He would love any tips you have...quest4thecross.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home