Friday, March 23, 2007

JUST A USUAL FRIDAY MORNING

Every Friday morning, my friend Rena and I go for brunch. Sometimes it's to the mall or Angel's in Nayot. Doesn't matter where we go...we always eat the same thing and spend hours talking and laughing.

After checking out the menus, we always settle for two scrambled eggs and salad...coffee and I get a diet Coke.

When we're in the mall (Malcha Mall down the road from my place) we usually end up in the Supermarket. Now you would think that two grown women would have better places to go to have fun, but not us. We look, we comparative shop, we walk up and down the aisles and keep a running conversation as we fill up the shopping cart.

Today I needed some 5% salad dressing and she needed some of that stuff you put into the toilet to make nice. You know what I mean. That blue stuff that seeps out of the container when you flush. (Is this too much information for you?)

Here is our conversation:
M: Here it is.
R: I don't want stuff that stinks. How will I know what it smells like?
M: I don't know. My kid gets this blue one in the three pack. Twenty-one shekels for three of them.
R: What's this? (She asked holding up a different kind of toilet thingee.)
M: I don't know. They all look the same to me.
R: But how do you work this?
M: Says that you push something into something and then pull something out.
R: What do you pull out?
M: Beats me. Looks like this white thingee under the bottle.
R: But how do you get it out?
M: I think you shlep this thing. Listen to us. Two college graduates and we can't figure out how to put in a toilet thing.
AT THIS POINT WE NOTICED A MAN STANDING NEXT TO US.
R: I don't know. Maybe I should get the three pack.
M: That's what we use.
R: But how do I know what it smells like? I don't want stinky stuff.
M: I have no idea. I told you we get this blue one.
R: Wait. It tells what scent it has. This one is peach. I don't want peach.
M: Then don't get it. Look, there's apple, and peach and the blue stuff and one that says Classic.
R: I don't know which to get.
M: Listen. Pick one. They're not diamonds! If you don't like it throw them in the garbage! They only cost twenty-one shekels.

She laughed, took the blue three pack and we walked to find the salad dressing. About five seconds later I turned around to tell her something when I noticed the man walking behind me and grinning from ear to ear.

Shrugging my shoulders, I smiled at him and burst out laughing. I can just imagine what he was thinking. First of all he knew we weren't big on the cleaning department as any of THOSE women would have known what to buy. Second, he knew that any man who had those toilet thingees on their list would have grabbed the first one he found and walked away...if he would have had that on his list at all. Third, he must have thought what stupid broads. But finally, he had to know that we were bright, funny women who were picking out toilet stuff like someone else goes shopping for a Picasso.

And, he had a great sense of humour and appreciated ours too. We laughed for twenty minutes in the supermarket as we thought of all the things he must have been thinking. But, he didn't walk away. He stayed till the bitter end wondering how we would solve the problem of the stinky toilet stuff.

Yahooooo. Good to laugh.

A sweet shabbat shalom. ( a peaceful weekend)

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

14 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

A good sense of humor sure makes the day better for you and everyone else! Fun story!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Hi Marallyn,
Nice to meet you. I am from London Ontario and my cousin and I get together when we get the chance. It usually is once every month or two because of our work schedules.
We can relate to your time together. I know we usually get stares because we are gabbing so mucn. We are catching up with one another and there is a lot of laughing going on. We hit all the second hand stores because we love a good bargin. We have been friends since we were teenagers. We are both now 49 and 50. It's great to share time with people that enjoy what you do. Take care!! *s*

Cristina

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Rena said...

Can't believe you wrote the same blog I did. Great minds.....By the way - I hooked the thingie onto the toilets - that didn't take too many brains!!

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Susan said...

It's such fun to have a friend like that who you can have fun with and laugh over the silliest things. I had a friend like that for years but she died and I still miss her so. I also have a sister-in-love like that. Every time we're together we get so tickled. Fun.

Thanks for the translation. I thought it probably was passover but wanted to know for sure.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I loved your humor in re-telling this story. It amazes me how it sounds like your life there is every bit as usual as our life here in Florida. I love it when you give us a peek into the lifestyle and culture there!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Leann said...

you crack me up girl.LOL.some of what you were saying could have been taken for something else.he may have desided to see what you were holding.
so funny."a merry heart works like meds". shalom from me to you.
((((((((((((((((((Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
keep the funny coming.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Batya said...

I like the ones which you put in the tank, but they don't sell them any more. Actually, I used to use both types, the more the less to clean. And I don't like the sweet smelling stuff, I like the ones that smell more "disinfected."

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi jungle mom...good to laugh, no??? thanks for dropping in

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom baptist girl...i love london ontario...still have good friends there...thanks so much for dropping in...good to laugh and good to have a friend to laugh with

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

nu rena what can i tell you...at least you got it to work lolol...shavuah tov

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiii penless...i love that...sister-in-love...i'll remember that...thanks for dropping in...stay safe my friend

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom pam...i guess we are all the same no matter where we live...the trick is to maintain a healthy sense of humour...dontcha think?

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom leann my dear friend...i love your blog and reading your comments here...thanks so much for dropping in...keep laughing my friend

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

of course you do muse...you are probably the only person i know who would have the patience to take apart the tank and make it work...i tried it once and by the time i got the top back on and saw that i didn't break anything i was a mess lololol...shavuah tov my friend...thanks for dropping in

 

Post a Comment

<< Home