Thursday, March 29, 2007

IN LIMBO

My Dad AH(may he rest in peace) always said that Jews were made to suffer. I guess that's why they invented pessach...passover. What a job!!!

Now, don't get me wrong. I love pessach. Actually it's my favourite holiday and even before the days when my house was kosher, I changed everything around for pessach.

For my readers who don't know what a Jewish housewife has to go through in order to get ready for pessach, let me give you the condensed version... the traditional version and not the keeper's of the sabbath one where they make me look like a gentile. :)

Every part of the house has to be thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom to be sure that there is no food or crumbs anywhere. And while you're at it you can wash the drapes and clean the carpets too.

While doing that you get to attack the closets and drawers. That gives you a great chance to throw out bags of stuff that no one wears/no one uses/it will never fit me even if I diet for the next five years...you know, the stuff that has all your closets and drawers overflowing.

Personally, I leave the kitchen for last. All the cupboards are emptied and cleaned. The fridge and stove are scoured and not one little crumb of food is allowed to survive.

Then, and only then can you change over your dishes and begin cooking for the seder.

Ok, so here's where I am. The rooms are cleaned. The kitchen cubboards are cleaned. The fridge and stove have had their first once-over.

So where does that leave me? In limbo. The kosher for pessach stuff is in boxes. The matzot, the new spices, the coffee/tea/turkish coffee/sugar is waiting. Strawberry jam and rice (my husband is from Kurdistan, Iraq and we get to eat rice...yahooooo) are waiting.

But pessach doesn't start until Monday evening. Thank goodness in Israel we only have one seder and not two, but until then my house is half and half. Haven't put away the non pessach stuff and don't want to make too much of a mess in my kitchen which will force me to scrub up everything all over again.

And, between us, I don't know what to cook. For the past couple of weeks I've been emptying out the freezer; using up all the meat and chicken so I'll have room to put the pessach order in on Sunday.

Today's menu is chicken livers and onions and spagetti with a non-dairy parveh cream sauce. Tomorrow, I'll use up the last of the chicken and then we go full steam ahead into the holiday.

Yahoooo.

In the meantime, I spent all day Monday...seven hours...putting all the changes that I'd made on my book Emma Shelby is No More into a file online. Then Tuesday I took the little key thingee to a printing place and had four copies made and bound with a spiral. One of my dear friends is a scientific editor and said she would edit it for me technically. Thank you, thank you. Another of my dear friends is an editor and said she would edit it for me content-wise. Thank you, thank you. One copy I mailed back to my self special delivery as proof of copywrite. And the final copy I am simply looking at and saying WOWOWOW. 487 pages and two years later Emma is written. Then when those changes are in, off Emma goes to my brother in Boulder and my brother-in-love in California. And then, everyone, keep your fingers crossed, spit three times and hop on one foot. Thank you, thank you.

Maybe during pessach I will have some time off and will sit and try to read it like I would read any book.

Ok, off I go back to the kitchen. Once the dishes and counters have been changed over from regular days to passover ones, it will all fall into place and I can start preparing my traditional pessach dishes. Yahoooooooooo.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

19 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Wow! Makes me glad to be a gentile!;)
But I do love tradition! My family is
a little crazy because we are so ...well, my kids want Venezuelan traditions, then we have the regular American holidays,add in grandparents who lived in Germany for many years, a Lebanese uncle, and Mexican Aunt and Uncle!! Add in a daughter and grand baby in Paraguay...well, you see the delima! Everyday is a holiday somewhere!!!!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Wow! You have been a busy girl.I didn't realize there was so much cleaning, etc., involved.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh my, I think I'm tired from just reading of all this work you have to do. We do Spring cleaning, which is very similar but doesn't have the time set limit that you'd have with Passover. Thanks for the lesson!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger TO BECOME said...

Your religion is so different than mine but I enjoyed learning more about your. We as Christians believe that Jesus is our passover because He delivered us from our sins. He did it once so it doesn't have to be done year to year. Hope you have wonderful celebrations. connie from Texas

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Geologychick said...

I love Passover, too! This will be a first for me this year, as my family lives in Nevada and I live in California... it's my very first holiday with just me, my husband, & my Shayna... no parents, grandparents, brothers, cousins... wow... only 3 dinner plates to clean! I'm so excited! LOL!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Batya said...

The book sounds so exciting!

I wish I had a separate Pesach home to go to that one week a year.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this and looking into the everyday life of a Jew! My mom worked for a dear sweet Jewish lady for many years here in Florida. I remember her giving the house a good cleaning and shining the silver, getting out particular dishes etc. for Mrs. Taub for Passover each year. I feel the seder to be a beautiful meal. It intrigues me how each food served represents something in particular. Doesn't each food need to be served on specific dishes as well? It seems I read that somewhere.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Leann said...

boy I didnt know there was so much to do.
your book sounds cool.hope all goes well.I wrote one a few years ago.its sitting in my closet.
I have to do some thing with it but dont know what.
I dont even know where to send it.
your blessed you know people.
shalom.((((((((((((Hug))))))))))))))

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

wow jungle mom...you are blessed with a diverse family...how marvellous...yahoooo

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom mountain mama...each holiday has it's own tradition, but pessach is a whole production...once it is all done it is amazing

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiii penless...it's a lot of work but worth it all in the end...the week of pessach is simply special...and gives us time to remember and reflect

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom connie...a happy holiday to you also...thanks for dropping in

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiii chick...so good to hear from you...enjoy your pessach seder wtih your family...no matter how many are at your table it will be special...i promise

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hahahaha muse...you do...it's called a hotel...lololol...but believe me i know what you mean...sigh

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi pam thanks for dropping in...yes...everything has a meaning and all the dishes and pots and pans etc are changed specifially for the week of pessach...once the work is all done preparing it is a marvellous special week...separate from the other 51 weeks of the year...my favourite holiday

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom leann...ask around about your book and send it to an agent...writing is special, don't you think?...have a sweet shabbat my dear friend

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

Yea you got me tired from just reading this. lol You younger women make mincemeat out of us old guy guys (just go with it Marallyn) I can wait to see your book on a shelf somewhere as I will be pushing my way in line to get a copy. Congrats on the book all that work may pay off for you "awesome"

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Marallyn, I understand how you live in limbo...'cause I do too. One fridge and freezer, another freezer, one Pesach cupboard were all done by midweek; at this moment, the oven has been self-cleaning for several hours and tomorrow it gets the major overhaul, as do the countertops.
The boxes have been brought upstairs from the basement crawlspace and have sat in the dining room sealed for the past couple days.
Tomorrow is full-force working, and by nighttime the cooking begins.
I am married to a Sephardi and he's decided this year (I don't think he ever had it while growing up, though) he wants rice. I feel odd preparing it, but kitniyot are allowed, and so we will have it...even diet Coke!

I pretty sure you've soared with Emma these past two years,(and I can say that affirmatively, even though I only " met" you a couple months ago) and she will soar for you in turn!

If I can't get out of the kitchen in time to do so later, now I want to wish you and your entire mishpacha a chag Kasher v'sameach, Marallyn!

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

Have a wonderful pessach! sounds like a dinner I'd like to attend but NOT clean for...I have a hard enough time keeping the house kept clean NORMAL with my five children. What would I do if I had to clean like you do for pessach? I guess I'd have to give them away?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home