Thursday, June 28, 2007

A LITTLE SENSE

I love writing. I love writing my blog and reading what you all write and then commenting and reading your comments. What great fun this blogging business is, dontcha think?

See, it all started when I began writing astrology columns. I am, by nature (ask Bubbie Channah) a talker. I love to talk. I love to tell stories. I love to listen to yours. And most of all, I love to laugh.

Now in the past couple of years, Jerusalem has not been a place of great laughter, but my friends and I have somehow managed to see the silly side to even some pretty awful situations. Remind me to tell you about the day I shlepped Rena to buy kitty litter for the sealed room when neither of us own a cat. :)))

I started writing the astrology column for the Hebrew newspaper Hadashot (News) and with a lot of help from a couple of friends managed to get my column out every week in Hebrew. I then was asked to write some astrology books...also in Hebrew. By that time I just wrote like a crazy fool and let their editors fix my Hebrew spelling misakes. See, I speak great but I spell like a foreigner. Also even after 37 years in the country...oy almost 38, I still sound like Abba Evan when I open my mouth. It's the letter R that gets me. I guess you have to be Israeli or French to roll those R's. Sigh.

Where was I? Oh yes, writing the columns. After five years of writing for Hadashot, I started writing for the Jerusalem Post. And now after handing in 505 weekly columns (wow) I still love writing them.

Along the way I discovered that I love writing. I love the intelligence of it...the fitting of the puzzle pieces into their proper places so that the story makes sense...and the joy of telling a story. I love it.

And when I write, I write in absolute silence. MOI? Silence? Yup. All day long I'm noisy. I talk and listen and problem solve. As a teacher, a parent, an administrator, a wife...I listened and talked.

When I got home from hours of doing that, I discovered that writing used two very different senses...sight and touch. My ears and mouth were retired as I used my brain and expressed myself in a different way. A personal way. A private way. A way that doesn't need a partner to make the next move. Just me and my laptop. WOW.

And then I discovered THE BLOG WORLD. Yahooooooooooooooo!!! Instant gratification. I do mine/you do yours/ and we meet in the comments department. And isn't that amazing and wonderful and terrific?!?

Now, I also have to use common sense and juggle my time so that I can get everything done. Sometimes I manage and sometimes I don't. But the best thing is that you are all forgiving and understanding and ready to come back another day to see if I have dropped in.

Thanks.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

5 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Batya said...

I don't know how you get it all done.
I have to work harder to make time for my "big project."
Thanks coach!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Loved the way you expressed this which we do in this blogland!! It is such a rewarding experience and exposes us to so much and so many we would never have the joy of being exposed to. I appreciate you, my little Jerusalem friend, very much :o)
Susan

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger torontopearl said...

"Asouka, asouka, asouka." Your mind is never at complete rest, is it?

Writing and blogging are wonderful ventures...and ADventures! Glad you're doing both.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's neat that in Isreal they STILL use shekels! Those things area couple thousand years old at LEAST. I'm a Christian, so I'm really enjoying your blog, and good luck with your novel writing! I write poetry on occasion. I'm from the midwestern united states. Take care!
Michelle

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom muse...i know what you mean...some days i just think, 'i godda get organized'

hi penless...thank you soooo much...i love you and your blog too...aren't we lucky?

shalom pearl...thanks so much for dropping in...busy is good, no?

hi michelle...thanks so much for taking the time to comment...hope to see you again real soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home