Thursday, June 21, 2007

WADDA DAY

Today is my grandson's 5th birthday. Wadda day that was. You know how there are certain moments in your life that stand out in your memory. Like where you were the moment you heard that Kennedy had been shot? Or when your husband proposed? Or the first day you drove your car alone after getting your license?

I walked into the hospital room and there he was. A wonderful little person. And that wonderful little person changed my life. He made me a Bubbie. A real Bubbie. Bless him.

My sweetsie boy is an amazing fellow. Here are some wise things I learned from him.
1. When he was almost three he saw an ambulance pass us on the road. He turned to me and said, 'Bubbie you know, there isn't anyone inside the amublance.' When I asked him how he knew that he answered, 'Because if there was someone inside it would go WEE-U, WEE-U, WEE-U.'

2. When he was almost four I was at his house and we heard firecrackers. He grabbed my hand and we ran from window to window to try and see them but the other buildings blocked our view. Pointing a finger at me he said, 'Bubbie. I know exactly what that is.' When I asked him what, he answered, 'It is a party in the sky for the Lubovicher Rabbi!'

There are many wisdoms that come from the mouths of babes. And as adults we should take the time to listen to them and learn from them.

Today at 5:00 there is going to be a Gay Pride Parade in Jerusalem. For the past week the Haredi (ultra orthodox ) community have been burning garbage dumpsters and threatening to riot. In order to protect the marchers 7,000 policeman will be out in the streets. Last year three marchers were stabbed!

What is wrong with them? Jews fighting and hurting other Jews? Are they nuts? Funny how the religious community wants equal rights but isn't ready to accept the rights of others who think differently than they do. Jerusalem is OUR city. Not mine or yours or theirs. It is OURS. And we have enough enemies around us who will be happy to grab it from under our feet while we are busy fighting each other.

3. Last night my sweetsie was watching television with him mother and they saw a very religious man being arrested for rioting and put into a police car. My grandson said, 'Mommy, if he is truely a tzadik (a righteous man) how can he do such stupid things?'

Good question.

Over the years, I have learned that 'boring is better. Unfortuanately, not everyone agrees with me. I pray that Jerusalem is peaceful today and that everyone comes home safely tonight. But, until we learn to embrace our differences as well as our similiarities, I'm afraid that we still have a long road to travel.

May everyone come home safely tonight to sleep peacefully in his/her own beds. Amen.

Happy birthday my sweetsie tootsie. I wish you a long and happy and wonderful life. Ahd 120. Tfu, tfu, tfu.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

Oh, how wonderful your writing of your grandson - and may I convey Birthday Greetings also.

You are so true, we adults do need to take the time to listen to the children - for they are indeed the future and their wise words now will be better understood in the future.

So beautiful and I so agree peace and safety for all this evening.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger TO BECOME said...

I hope your Grand son has the happiest of birthdays. He sounds like a child full of wisdom and understanding. May he always be so and may God bless and keep him. connie from Texas

I pray your day is a peaceful one and all are safe.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Val said...

Happy Birthday to your 'sweetsie boy'! You're both lucky to have each other.

Hoping that everything went ok over there. People really need to stop judging and live and let live.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Geologychick said...

Happy 5th Birthday!

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a smart cookie:).
They are so precious when they are babies and toddlers..I don't have experience with the ones in school...Thank you, Jesus.
I volunteer with the three year olds at church-
One of the songs is: "I'm squeaky clean in Jesus Christ". Well, she thought the words were:
"I'm freaky queen in Jesus Christ".
:)
My nephew poopied his pants in Church when he was younger, and I took him to the bathroom..he said "Oh, Crap."
:)
Just today, I said, "Oh Heck!", and he said
"Oooooooooo..thats a bad word."
and I asked him what I was supposed to say, and he said
"You are supposed to say Oh, Hell"
Oy
:) I think it's the television:)

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been 5 years already??? My goodness, how time flies! I remember you sent me pictures when he was brand new to this world. Still have the one of you and him tacked on my monitor. You're going to have to send me a current one so I can have a current visual. Kiss the little precious one and wish him a happy birthday from me also.

The thing about the "religious man", well, religious or not, he's still just a man who puts his pants on the same way the next man does. There is no such thing as a perfect man, or woman for that matter. Although, I have to say, you are pretty close, Bubbie ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home