Friday, June 08, 2007

AN OLD YIDDISH EXPRESSION

There is an old Yiddish expression that goes like this: Ahz mehn lebt, derlebt mehn...which means if you live long enough you see everything.

My version over the years has been 'pigs can fly'...but that is a whole other blog.

Last night at nine o'clock, my daughter showed up carrying a pot. Inside were stuffed onions that she had made for us for shabbat. A first. The kid is cooking and sharing a lot lately and boy let me tell you it makes me smile inside and out. And she is GOOD!!!

So, all I had to do was boil a kettle of water...add a heaping tablespoon of chicken soup powder and a teaspoon of citric acid (lemon salt) and let it simmer for four hours!!!

It was nine thirty when I started. Four hours? Well, I brought it back to a boil and placed the pot on my lowest burner and sat down to wait. After two hours all the liquid was gone and I was falling asleep playing my card games online.

I figured it was done. And went to sleep. At four in the morning, I jumped up. The stuffed stuff!!! I ran and put the pot in the fridge.

Well, my dear friends, let me tell you...it is the best stuffed stuff I have ever eaten. And I'm the proud Mother!!!

My late M-I-L AH was a great cook. She made the best yaprach...stuffed grape leaves...in the entire world and my daughter's was even better!!! I can't believe it.
When I get the recipe from the kid I'll share. And it even had a surprise. On the bottom was a thin layer of potatoes that got oh so crunchy as it cooked. Yahoooooo my sweet daughter.

Here is my recipe for Yeminite stuffed stuff. I stuff zuccini/potatoes/bell peppers/cabbage/onions/tomatoes/carrots/and grape leaves with this recipe.

YEMINITE STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hawayz optional...if no hawayaz double the cumin
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 small onion diced
1 ripe tomato diced
2 large cloves of garlic pressed
1/2 cup cilantro (kuzbarra) optional
1 heaping teaspoon of chicken soup powder
1 cup of cooked rice

place all of the above, except for the rice, in a frying pan and heat so that the essential oils are released
begin adding the cooked rice to the condiments
when the rice is all coated red you can begin stuffing
*this rice is great just as is with meat or chicken or fish for dinner...my version of spanish rice :)
add water and lemon juice to barely cover (remember the rice is already cooked and all you want to do is basically steam the outer casings until they are soft)
bring to a boil and then lower the flame
simmer for about 30 minutes

Now let me tell you that my kid's stuffed onions were wayyyyyyyyyy better and when I get the recipe from her I'll share.

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...thanks for dropping in...and stay safe.

line the stuffed vegetables in your pot...use a big pot so that you don't have too many layers
add

7 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This sounds yummy but very different from anything I have ever tried! Thanks so much for sharing.

Isn't it wonderful to be a proud mom?

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Yummo! Thanks for sharing, now, where do I get grape leaves?

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I line the bottom of my pot when I make stuffed cabbage - a trick my grandmother told me about when I got the recipe from her. This way if something burns, it's the potatoes and not the stuffed cabbage.

And thanks! Now I have a great appetizer for Shabbat!

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

"Get that recipe up here!"shouted the hungry masses of people who stood with mouths watering.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger TO BECOME said...

That sounds really good. We will have to try that. Thanks for the recipe. I know you are proud of your daughter. connie from Texas

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your wonderful blog about life in Israel because I am searching for a yaprach recipe. I love the one at Zidkiyahu at Machane Yehuda, and wanted to replicate it at home. Can you share your daughters recipe please?
Thanks so much! And I enjoyed reading about how you came to Israel for "just one year" and then met your husband. Pretty romantic!

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I meant to request your daughters stuffed onions recipe. Thank you so much! Chag Sameach!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home