Monday, June 04, 2007

IN MY SPARE TIME

I used to knit. I used to do fancy tapestries. Now I write and I read. And I watch TV. I just figured out why my life seems so upside-down. For almost twenty years I worked from two in the afternoon until seven at night. First teaching in a private school and then for fourteen years, teaching and administrating my own learning center.

My day was organized. I had the mornings for things I had to do at home and/or meetings. Then I met Bubbie Channah every afternoon for lunch. Then I walked the two blocks from her place downtown to my place in the shuk.

Took the bus home. Ate dinner. Went online and did emails and wrote. In three years I wrote two books.

Then I had to close my learning center. The intifada plus the financial situation in Jerusalem left me no choice.

Now I am a freelance teacher. And I work mornings. And I got farblonzhed (mixed-up). All my timing was off. And brilliant college graduate that I am, I finally figured it out. After using up all my energy teaching in the mornings I poop out in the afternoons and then get hooked on my tv shows in the evenings.

Ok! So where is the time for writing? Oh, and add the blog and all my howdy-do's to all my new blogger friends and no wonder I am running on low energy in the creative pool.

So, now that I know what the problem is, I am trying to re-organize myself. And it is starting to work. Thank goodness.

Here is a list of the last five books I read plus the one I am reading now:
The Copper Scroll by Joel C. Rosenberg
The First Law by John Lescroart
Night Fall by Nelson DeMIlle
The Charm School by Nelson DeMille
Bue Smoke by Nora Roberts :)))
And now I'm reading The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi by Jacqueline Park

Here is a list of the tv shows that I seem to be hooked on:
Survivor
Desperate Housewives
Heroes
American Idol Israeli version
The Young and the Restless
House
Extreme Makeover Home Edition

So that is what I've been doing with my spare time. I'd love to know what you are doing with yours.

Oh, and I have started my new novel: 55 Jacob's Ladder. Yahoooooooo.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

6 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubby and I stopped watching Desperate Housewives midway into the second season... we felt it had seriously jumped the shark and decided to watch other things (I recommend Weeds).

We also stopped watching House... we got tired of it being the same thing week after week...

Heroes is great though. We're looking forward to next season. We also watch CSI:Vegas, CSI:NY, NCIS, Law and Order and Law and Order:SVU (although the last few episodes have suffered from poor writing).

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit, my dear...It seems tome you get a LOT Done! And you are starting on a new book, too! I find my life now revolves around the internet. My blog...writing and taking pictures for my blog amd me....visiting blog friends...reading some other sites...And, I watch a lot of movies and TV, too. It's funny, I watch different things than you do, but ALL pretty engrossing...! "THE SOPRANOS" which will have it's last episode, ever...next week...This is a magifcent show of Shakespearean proportions....I watch STUDIO 60 which just came back and will not be renewed, sad to say....BROTHERS & SISTERS...over for the season now....and a couple of so called reality shows like TOP CHEF. and others that are similar....PROJECT RUNWAY...I think I like these because they are about Artist creating....I don't particularly like all the crap that goes on, but I do like the creative part.
So that is what I do with my time.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Val said...

You are busy, yet productive. All good.

I just read James Patterson "Mary Mary" - i like his Alex Cross series.

I noted the John Lescroart book - i like him, too!

Not much in tv viewing... Desperate Housewives, Sisters & Brothers...
Glad you're doing well, my friend.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

No tv for me much prefer my trusty radio for entertainment and of course my laptop too!!

Reading - usually means catching up on my meds journals and all emails relating!!

Stay safe my friend and hope your week goes well.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger TO BECOME said...

My days are all pretty much the same. I take care of the needs of my husband. My grandchildren get to come visit more because it is summer time. In a week I will be having 3 to 9 of them and I just can't Wait. I read, study and memorize God's word and go to church and learn so I can go out and tell other about the Jesus that I know, who gave his life for me that I might live forever. I visit my family and friends and keep up my home so that those who come feel welcome anytime. This is my love and I love every moment of it. connie from Texas

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger cheated are the clouds said...

My spare time is my creative time, when I'm not creative I like to watch some tv, and play my guitar, The only problem is creative stuff comes at any time day or night which is why I always carry a small not pad with me, it is a real drag having to get up in the middle of the night to write something down, keep it and good luck with the new book, keep us posted on progress

 

Post a Comment

<< Home