Sunday, July 29, 2007

SOMETIMES WE FORGET

Boker Tov...good morning...and while I'm at it, Shauvah Tov...a good week. About a week ago I got a phone call from a lady named Ruty.

Ruty is one of 29 social workers who work in the rehabilitation department of Social Security in Jerusalem. I know them all. For years we have been working together. They have people who need to be rehabilitated and I had a learning center. We helped. It was wonderful and one day I will have to write a post about them.

Anyway, she had a student for me who needed help with English. I said,'Sure!'

Last week he showed up. What a cute kid. Going into eleventh grade...little kid...big eyes...spikey hair...and a killer cough. Sounded like he'd been smoking for 50 years.

I knew that he had been involved in a piguah, terrorist attack, three years ago and was pleased to see that he looked just fine. I've had kids who will never again look just fine and I was thrilled that this kid wasn't one of them.

He's a bright, intelligent kid who simply got lost when he missed so much school. English and Math are two subjects that build, one step at a time, and if you miss a rung you fall down to the bottom.

He wants to study...I want to teach him and we had a grand old time forging ahead and drinking diet coke.

Then later I spoke to Ruty. And she told me his story. He was in a piguah...and his lungs were affected. I keep hearing that cough.

As we go merrily along doing our usual things there are those among us who will not be usual again. And just because they have no scars that show doesn't mean that they are not scarred.

I think everyone can make a difference, even if it's only teaching a kid present perfect and helping him pass a big test at the end of August.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Some wounds are also emotional and don't "show" at all but are very present. Your caring shows clearly in your words and this post. Bless you!
Susan

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a privilege to be able to help such individuals. I have always enjoyed helping those who need help.

I am honored to to be in contact with someone like you who has a heart to reach out to others. Keep up the good work, young lady.

 
At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marallyn you are awesome! Just wanted you to know that. One of these days soon I hope to meet you in person.

Shira

 

Post a Comment

<< Home