Saturday, October 27, 2007

THE YEAR OF THE TEETH

You know how the Chinese have the year of the dog or snake or monkey, etc.? Well, I think we should have years too.

One year could be 'The Year of the Baby' when a new child comes into this world to renew and refresh everyone's lives.

Then, there could be 'The Year I Retired' when I thought I would be wandering around my house trying to find something to do. And, how luckily, tfu tfu tfu, I am so busy I don't know how to arrange my time.

Of course, let's not forget 'The Year of the Diet'...that could be every year...sigh.

This year, I think is going to be 'The Year of the Teeth'. My love/hate affair with the dentist began when I was five. Remember the good ol' years when the dentist's office was a torture chamber? The drill made that awful noise and slowly, slowly dug into your tooth. Vey! I don't want to talk about it. Oy!

But now I have Cousin Sheldon, THE DENTIST. For the first time in my life, I can actually eat something before going to the dentist's office. He is the best, the kindest, the most amazing man in the Universe.

But, I still don't put my tush in his chair unless it is absolutely necessary. First I went to the doctor to see why I had an earache. Then a tooth broke. Then another decided to wiggle. That was when I went to Sheldon.

In the past three months he has done amazing things. Another miracle in the Holy Land. Fixed, pulled, polished, and finally fitted...my bottom teeth are ready for the Oprah show.

Next we attack the uppers. Sigh. But, I can't complain. I have my Dad's AH teeth and he had full dentures at the age of forty. I am way older than that...you thought I was going to tell you, right? Wrong. Where was I? Oh yes. I am way older than that and I still, amazingly, have teeth in my mouth. My teeth. Well as a friend of mine once said, 'They are all my teeth. I paid a fortune for them.' Hahahaha.


Next year I want to be 'The Year of the Best Selling Novel...Emma'. Has a nice ring to it, no?

OK. I will try to do better now that I am smiling once again. The teacher's strike is still on in full force putting a strain on the poor 12th graders, the teachers who need a salary and me who has room on her dance card for a couple more students.

But, it's a lovely day in downtown Jerusalem. My heart goes out to the people in California. I made a frantic call to my other brother, Maeshey, and thank God he and his are all right. But the sky is red and the air is smokey. OYOYOY.

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Blogger Val said...

I like the idea of the Jewish year of.. and there could be repeaters, but I'm sure there could be some very creatively unique ones - yes?!!!!

Shalom!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma is one of my favourite names:)
Please post a link when it is on the market.

Yep, thought of being a teacher, but once they are in kindergarten...
I'm not interested:):)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home