Saturday, May 31, 2008

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

No, this time it isn't about food...but about prayer.

I say Tehilim, Psalms, every morning. For a few minutes every day the world is blocked out and I sit and talk with God. Now, God and I have had a running conversation going for since forever, but this is different.

This isn't the 'That's cute God' kind of conversation when the egg or oil spills on the floor and I have to figure out how to get it up so no one slips and does themselves a damage.

No, this is serious, in Hebrew, talking. Between us, sometimes I hate putting what I need aside to daven, but the moment the first page is opened a peace fills me and I'm glad I'm taking the time.

Then, a few days ago I got an email from a friend in the States. We have never met. She is one of the wonderful list of people who found me and have been praying for me and mine and Israel. I love these new friends. And, in my heart, I feel that their prayers are like an umbrella. How wonderful, no?

Well. What I received was an email titled Five Finger Prayer.

The truth is that at first I thought, 'Oh no. Another one of those 'send this off to your list or else' emails. But I love this woman and opened it and read it.

Now, after I have added this to my davening. It is so simple and makes so much sense. \\

So, I decided to share it with all of you.

1. YOUR THUMB-is nearest to you. So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones, is, as C.S.Lewis once said, 'a sweet duty'.

2. THE POINTING FINGER is next. Pray for those who tack, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and religious leaders. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.

3. THE TALLEST FINGER. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the leaders of our countries, leaders in business and industry, and administrtors. These people shape our nations and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance.

4. THE RING FINGER. Surprising to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger, as any pioan teacher will testify.l it should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need our prayers and we can't pray too much for them.

5. THE LITTLE FINGER. The smallest finger of all which is where we should remember to think about ourselves. By the time you ahve prayed for the other four groups, your own needs will be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.

My fingers remind me of all the people I want to remember and sometimes forget.

Anyhow, I just thought you might like to see this.

Thanks for praying for me and wanting me and mine to be safe. I want you and yours to be safe too.

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I used this same method when teaching my children to pray.
Is this friend Jewish? I ask because I find it interesting as we evangelicals often use this.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Lady-Light said...

Very interesting method for remembering whom to pray for.
Just read your April post: how are you, your daughter-in-law and son doing? May you only have s'machot in the future, AMEN.
(I have linked to you on my blog for a long time. Would you kindly reciprocate?)

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Val said...

Hello, stranger! ;)
Hope you and your are well and safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home