Wednesday, January 04, 2012

THOUGHTS

Shalom and Happy Sylvester!!! I have no idea why it is called Sylvester. But since New Year in Israel is Rosh HaShanah, I guess Sylvester is as good as anything else. Actually, it has a ring to it.  Three syllables, starts with a ssss and ends strongly with er. Yup, Sylvester it is.

I ran out of gas after finishing the alphabet blogs and couldn't figure out what was next. So, after a lengthy talk with myself, and a longing to get back blogging, I figured I would write once a week on things that come to mind.

New Years Resolutions...ahhh same old same old...stick to the diet...save money...write and finish Unveiled already!!! (on my fourth and hopefully final draft).

Lately, I have been putting my own needs on my list of priorities. Biggie for me!!! And the first present I bought myself was an iPhone. My kids talked me into that one!!! Yahoooo. Instant gratification no matter where you are! While I was travelling I could easily and constantly get my email and through Skype I spoke with my family and friends. Actually it was the first trip I didn't miss Israel...how could I? I brought Israel with me!!!

While we are on the subject of iPhone, do you know the terrible game my daughter introduced to me called Temple Run? Don't ask! And while in Windsor, I was reintroduced to Rummikub. On the iPhone it is called TouchRummy, and the computer guy is very good so you have to keep on your toes.

But the best gift I gave myself was a Kindle. At first I thought it was simply being able to buy books for a fraction of the price here in Israel. That, plus the fact that you don't need lots of bookshelves (remember my 40 or so books still unread that I kept compulsively buying cuz you can't leave that good book in the store?). And, finally when I realized that the fifteen or twenty dollar books I was buying only gave me a two dollar return and the used book stores, I knew I needed a Kindle.

Kindle...lightweight...fits into your purse...doesn't hurt to shlep it around...and cheap. I started ordering books. Lots of books. Until I realized that they were always going to be there to buy. Not like in the bookstores where the supply was limited and if you saw it, you grabbed it. So, after purchasing 47 books in six months, I have calmed down. They will be there in a week or a month or a year. I bought thirteen books for the price of three here in Israel. I got a slew of books either for free or for two or three dollars!!! Unheard of here in Israel!

Since July, I have read twenty-three books!!! 23!!!

At first I thought I was just having fun with the Kindle. But slowly I began to realize that for the first time in over forty years, I can read the books I want to read...not just the books that become available here.

Wow!!!

Here are some of my list: E=Excellent   G=Good   NB=Not Bad   DB=Don't Bother
Does the Noise in My Head Hurt You...Steven Tyler...E
The Dovekeepers...Alice Hoffman...E
Portrait of a Spy...Daniel Silva...E
Catherine the Great...Robert K. Massie...E
Kitchen Confidential...Anthony Bourdain...E
Chickens, Mules and Two Fools...Vicoria Twead...E
Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Bolyn...Nell Gavin...G
Sing You Home...Jodi Picoult...G
In the Land of Invisible Women...Qanta Ahmed...NB
Golan!...Eliyahu Truitt...G
In the Garden of Beasts...Erik Larson...E
The autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb...Melanie Benjamin...E

Now I am reading Stephen King's book 11/22/63 Excellent!!!
Next will either be The Prime Ministers, by Yehuda Avner or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot, or A Game of Thrones ( book one) by George R.R.Martin

Or who knows where my mood might take me?

If you have any books you loved or could recommend, I would be very happy to hear about them.
Books, wool and as the 2000 YEAR OLD MAN says 'A stuffed cabbage' and life is great!

Happy healthy joyous Sylvester!!! from me and mine to you and yours.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

5 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I am always delighted to see a post by you. I was thinking about you the other day.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Bubbles said...

Marallyn itwas so good to meet you while you were here in Florida. I really enjoy reading your blogs and look forward to your return trip this year. I hope your Holidays were the best ever...

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Chavaleh said...

Hello dear friend, so glad you are blogging again. I enjoy your humor, wisdom and insights. Looking forward to reading what's on your mind and in your heart in the days to come. The "Sylvester" thing has my curiosity bouncing off the walls. Must be a story behind that one. Love you, my friend. Stay safe and be blessed in 2012!!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Guila Greer said...

I loved reading this!! You may have even talked me into a kindle !
Books? have you read Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden and House at Riverton? Very good reads!

Guila

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous nextiva fax said...

I am always delighted to see a post by you. I was thinking about you the other day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home