Wednesday, November 22, 2006

GOBBLE GOBBLE

While growing up in Windsor, we didn't go meshuggeh for Thanksgiving...that was up to our American cousins. And since we lived five minutes away through the tunnel or over the bridge from Detroit, we were lucky enough to be invited by family and friends to their Thanksgiving celebrations.

Tomorrow Rena is making her usual Thanksgiving Dinner...for seventeen people...two turkeys/stuffing/mashes potatoes/sweet potato maychel/cranberry sauce and relish/three pies...and a partridge in a pear tree!

I once made a turkey for my own family. The kids looked at the platter and said, 'Imma what a big chicken!'...and then we were left eating turkey for a week. That was the end of the turkey cooking in my house.

So, I have never made a Thanksgiving dinner. But, that doesn't mean that I don't have lots to be thankful for.

1.I'm thankful for my children and my babies.
2.I'm thankful for living in Jerusalem...even though sometimes it hasn't been easy.
3.I'm thankful that Bubbie Channah is alive and well and living here in Jerusalem.
4.I'm thankful that I have the best brother in the world.
5.I'm thankful for Maeshey and Sydonia and the Guv and Chutzpah who have stayed so close
even though we are on different sides of the ocean.
6.I'm thankful for friends, new and old, who care and share and love Israel.
7.I'm thankful for my health and sense of humour (who could survive living in the Middle East
without a sense of humour?).
8.I'm thankful that I'm busy...working/writing/caring for my family.
9.I'm thankful for a wonderful childhood.
10.I'm thankful to God for smiling in my direction and offering a helping hand when I need it.

OH...and I guess I should be thankful that I am a katchkeh (chicken) and not a turkey! :)

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

19 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Rena said...

Thanks for inviting all your readers - and I know you have many - to my Thanksgiving Dinner. Just let me know how many more settings to put at the table. By the way - for all you purists out there - a "katchke" is a duck - a chicken is a "hoon". Just thought you might like to know. See you tomorrow - with or without all your readers.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Rena said...

Just thought of something - do you remember the Yiddish translation of the "Song of the Wild Goose"? "Ich vil geh vu der katchke geht, und ich vil dreh vu der katchke dreht? Well, that's not correct either - as a goose in Yiddish is a "ganz". That's it kiddo - back to the cooking.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

at my friend 'c's wedding her father got up and sang...ich vil gehen vu di vildeh ganz geht...ich muz geht vu di vildeh ganz geht...i'll never forget it...actually the highlight of the wedding...well, see i always loved her papa...a very very special man...ganz is a goose...and i think we called a chicken a tsikken...lol...see you tomorrow yahooooooooo

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of my best friends are chicken!

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This does not concern this recent post, but I just saw on your profile that you like rock 'n roll and oldies. I like to brag that there is only one person in Efrat who knows more about rock 'n roll and oldies than I do.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger cruisin-mom said...

I always thought katchke meant "duck".
What a nice list!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

john honey you are bad...very bad lolol

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

anonymous...who who who??? we could have a hootenany :)))

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hi cruisin' yup a katchkeh is a duck...what a great language yiddish is...thanks for dropping in

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

dear anonymous...the OU stamp of approval? olmert? OU GODDA BE KIDDING...

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thank you so much for *your* posts:) I enjoy escaping from *my reality* for a few minutes:)
Here is a very easy *All American* Thanksgiving recipe from my Mums kitchen

Sandy's Corn Casserole

1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream style corn
8 oz sour cream
1 egg
1/2 stick butter
I box Jiffy cornbread mix

bake immediately after mixing
@375 for 45min

Blessings,
Anna

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom anna...thank you so much for dropping in and your mom's recipe sounds gorgeous!!! hope to see you again soon...stay safe and happy thanksgiving!!!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Thank you so much for *your* posts:) I enjoy escaping from *my reality* for a few minutes:)
Here is a very easy *All American* Thanksgiving recipe from my Mums kitchen

Sandy's Corn Casserole

1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream style corn
8 oz sour cream
1 egg
1/2 stick butter
I box Jiffy cornbread mix

bake immediately after mixing
@375 for 45min

Blessings,
Anna

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Leann said...

love your thankgiving post.yes one can always find the things to be thankful for.I make my grannys cranberry salad.you take one box of raspberry jello and little orange zest very little and two of the orange wedges,one apple none of the pile,one rib of celery,walnuts,one cup of suger.you grind up the orange,apple,celery,cranberrys.put in a pretty bowl.then mix up the jello only do not add the cold water.pore it over the fruit and then add your nuts corsely chopped,add the suger and mix well.let it set in the frig for over night.taste to see if it is sweet enough if not add little more suger cause cranberrys can be very tart.I will not be able to make it this year cause there is to much month at the end of the money.hope one one you try it and like it.have a very happy thanksgiving and God bless you all.shalom from my home to yours.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiiii leann...i love that recipe...thanks for sharing...happy thanksgiving...stay safe...

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Ray Bridges said...

Be blessed on this day we have chosen to remember that we are indeed blessed.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

houston my friend and to you too...thanks for dropping in and for all your good wishes...stay safe

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest friend;
As I make cranberry orange relish and baked cognac cranberries to take to Natlie's (she's got the bigger house for all her in-laws), I so want to share my recipes, too, but remain ever hopeful for the day we can cook together.
My thankful list is like yours but enhanced even more that I could be included in yours. I am thankful every day for you all being in my life; not miles away but always in my heart.
The cooking thing, though, still remains a bit of a problem with the miles. The mashed potatoes get cold and hard even to take to Natalie's. :)))

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

sydonia...if you make pedeheh i'll be there!!! ahhhhh those really were the days...enjoy your family this holiday and if you feel a little breeze around your tush it will be me dropping in to say hi...stay safe my friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home