Monday, March 19, 2007

THE TRUTH

Bubbie Channah always told me that if I didn't have anything good to say that it was better not to say anything at all. So, what do you do when your opinion is required and you don't have something nice to say?

I think I would rather know the truth. Especially if it comes from someone I trust and I know who loves me. There are enough miseries out there who only knock you down so that they can stand taller. But the good guys who really care are ones we should listen to. Don't you think?

I belong to a creative writing group. Now this is how it works. A week before our bi-monthly meeting we have to hand in by email our next chapter. There are four women and three men, one of whom is our mentor and guide.

We always hope that the group will ooooo and ahhhhh and stroke our egos and tell us that we are the best thing since sliced bread. But, I have discovered along the way that my best growth has come when the group told me my stuff stinks. Well, they never said that. Not in those words anyway.

And with their gentle prodding and advice, which I sometimes accepted and other times rejected, I have gotten better. And better. I have always been a storyteller but now I am a story writer!!! Woohoo!!! Sounds great doesn't it? Actually, it sounds amazing.

I am about to hand over my baby to strangers. The friends who wish to read and edit it and then off to my brother in Colorado and finally to my other brother in California. I say other brother because we grew up together and although we are not blood relations we couldn't be closer if we were siblings.

Anyhow, letting 'Emma' fly off to foreign shores all by herself feels kinda like standing naked at the corner of King George and Jaffa Roads. OY. Know what I mean?

But hey I've got to take the chance. I've got to write. And I trust the experts to help me be a better writer.

So, thanks for your love you guys and thanks for your help you guys and thanks for caring enough to tell me the truth.

See you at the Oscars!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

15 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make room on your shelf. Just remember that there's a lot of gold in that Oscar. So, make sure that the shelf can hold it.

You got my vote!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Marallyn,

Your dedication to -- and your enthusiasm for -- your book, for writing and other writers...and for life itself is evident, and somewhat contagious.

I have high hopes for you & Emma!B'hatzlacha!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Susan said...

This sound so exciting for you and I'm sure a little scary, too. I wholeheartedly agree that we all need to be told the truth. The truth helps us to grow and sets us free. It's the manner and "tone" of the people speaking the truth that makes the difference. God bless you and this effort.

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would rather everyone tell me my writing sucks than for anyone to see me naked at the corner of King George and Jaffa Roads. After all, continual seizures of the gag reflex cannot be good for anyone.

Wish I had your determination to write.

Take care.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I wish you the best of luck with your "baby"! I am sure it will be just fine, and I am looking forward to reading it. Why because of my vanity! I can say I know this author!!!

Isn't that funny how we are as people? Here is an exciting moment in your life and I turned it around to focus on me.

Forgive me, and I sincerely wish you all the best.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ah john...from your mouth to...you know...ahhhhh gold! lol...stay safe my dear friend...i miss you

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks pearl...and you too...i love your writing

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

exactly penless...you are absolutely right...sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it...have a great day my new friend

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hahah tim...i forgot...you know king george and jaffa lol...next time you're here we'll go for coffee...my treat...hope that is soon...thanks for dropping in

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom jennifer...i think when one person is happy it is infectious...may we all realize our dreams...glad to see you again

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Val said...

I'm sharing in your excitement, enhthusiasm and just general good amounts of nervousness. Please keep us updated on "emma" and I'm sure good things will happen ...

ooh.. so excitin'! :)

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're already a great writer Marallyn! Period. Exclamation Point!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks val...from your mouth to...thanks

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

yahooooooo larry!!! thanks so much and thanks for dropping in...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home