Thursday, May 17, 2007

MAKING A NO CHEESE CHEESCAKE...OR IT AIN'T EASY BEING A MOM

My youngest, Joe College is off dairy products for awhile for health reasons. And next week is Shavuot.

http://www.jewfaq.org/holidayc.htm"

Shavuot, the Festival of Weeks, is the second of the three major festivals with both historical and agricultural significance (the other two are Passover and Sukkot). Agriculturally, it commemorates the time when the first fruits were harvested and brought to the Temple, and is known as Hag ha-Bikkurim (the Festival of the First Fruits). Historically, it celebrates the giving of the Torah at Mount Sinai, and is also known as Hag Matan Torateinu (the Festival of the Giving of Our Torah).


It is noteworthy that the holiday is called the time of the giving of the Torah, rather than the time of the receiving of the Torah. The sages point out that we are constantly in the process of receiving the Torah, that we receive it every day, but it was first given at this time. Thus it is the giving, not the receiving, that makes this holiday significant.


It is customary to stay up the entire first night of Shavu'ot and study Torah, then pray as early as possible in the morning.

It is customary to eat a dairy meal at least once during Shavu'ot. There are varying opinions as to why this is done. Some say it is a reminder of the promise regarding the land of Israel, a land flowing with "milk and honey." According to another view, it is because our ancestors had just received the Torah (and the dietary laws therein), and did not have both meat and dairy dishes available.

The book of Ruth is read at this time. Again, there are varying reasons given for this custom, and none seems to be definitive.


Well, now that you know what Shavuot is all about, and you know that my kid is off dairy...what you don't know is that it is traditional to make a cheese cake (among other things) for the holiday.

So, being the good mom that I am, I went online and found some Vegan recipes. Now, I wish you could see the faces on the people when I walk into a health food store. I mean, I'm the corned beef and pecan pie lady, remember? But since my kid is on this meshuggeneh diet, I have become an expert on where the soy milk is kept and what tofu cheeses are available. And God bless them all for their variety of products that we can get here in Israel.

Ok. Here is the Chocolate-Tofu Cheesecake recipes that I chose. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them. I have until the 22nd to become an expert.

Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake
1 1/2 pounds firm tofu
1 pound soft (silken) tofu
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup chocolate chips or 2/3 cup carob cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup chocolate soymilk
graham cracker pie crust

Have crust ready. Drain tofu between 2 towels with a breadboard weight on top for about 20 minutes. Blend the drained tofu, 1/2 pund at a time, until smooth and creamy. With each 1/2 pound in the blender add 1/2 cup of sugar. Pour all the blended tofu and sugar into a bowl.

Preaheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt chocolate (if using) in a double boiler and add to the blended tofu mixture. Mix together with remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture into the prebaked crust, then bake for about 35-60 minutes depending on your oven or until the top appears solid. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.

Ok folks. Waddya think?

Gone are the days of the white chocolate cheesecake recipe that I have from my friend Rena. Sigh. Tofu? Carob cocoa? But a Mom's godda do what a Mom's godda do.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Susan said...

You're a good momma!
Susan

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hiya !..yummmm!..I make tofu pie too!..Heh

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

Now that sounds - what I should be prescribed by my doctor - and the whole cake too!!!

As I drool longingly at such a thought - do please think of me as you eat piece by piece!!

Have a wonderful day and greetings to all in Israel

Peter

Thank you for your prayers to for Madeleine - so very important to keep in focus at this time.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Geologychick said...

Sounds yummy to me! Let us know how it tastes!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

You are a great mom! I am having to revamp a lot of recipes here because of all the shortages. No eggs, no milk, no beef, no chicken.. I guess I am a vegan now!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I am not a tofu fan, so my advice is not the best, but my sister promises that the tofu takes the taste of the other ingredients! So best wishes.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger yingerman said...

Tasted one, years ago.
It was made outta tofu cream cheese, it was OK.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're a great mom!

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

Shalom, Marallyn! Let me know how your *cheese*cake turns out...can't say that it SOUNDS yummy! But, chocolate improves anything!

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Batya said...

looks great
thank you and chag sameach

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Leann said...

I made tofu once!!!that was the last time.ewwwwwww...and Im one who can eat anything.that isnt tied down or walking..but tofu did me in!!!
my kids went nuts and said if I ever served it again they would move to grandma,s.so tofu was more like toe jam in my home..

some people say they love the stuff.yikes I wonder if they lost their teast bud,s in the war or some thing???

thanks for sharing about the holiday.its always nice to know those things.O I dig peacan pie and corned beef to...

(((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
shalom.....God bless.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

Keep Safe - my Friends in Israel.

Thinking of you all

Peter


Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for little Madeleine - do please continue.

You are so sweet!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home