Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES

Well, by the time I dragged my weary bones back into bed last night, I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

The good news is that Sweetsie Girl is feeling much better and back at her gan (nursery school) today. Now, I am not sure, but I think I promised her the house and car and all my jewelry yesterday. See, for five solid hours we talked. Actually she spoke and I just said YES in the appropriate places. I have no idea what she said as she is only two and had a pacifier in her mouth at the time. But I got the part where she said, Bubbie I love lu. That I got really good. And we were hugging and smooching for those five hours so how bad can that be?

And all that time we were watching tv. Five hours of the equivalent of Sesame Street, Israeli version. WOW. But, to tell you the truth, between the non-stop conversation and the tv I was exhausted.

I hate to admit this, but I'm not used to all that noise any more. Since I closed my learning center and gave up being a boss and executive personage, ahem, and since my kids have all grown up, and since I now live with my husband and joe college and not all three kids and their friends and all the neighbour kids running in and out...I kinda got used to quiet.

How did that happen to me? I used to be a night owl...you know...up until two-three in the morning, writing, emailing, chatting online, reading, watching tv. Yes that person.

I love the quiet hours of the middle of the night. No phones/no talking/no problems that need immediate attention/no cooking/cleaning/washing up...just me and the quiet. Well, since I joined my new sorority...yes I still am a Phi Sigma Sigma girl but now I am also a C.S.G (senior citizen girl) and that comes with a lot of perks.

I don't have to get up and relinquish my seat when an old f*rt my age gets on. I get discount bus tickets. I am the matriarch of the family. And on and on. And I have earned every grey hair in my head.

I figure we only get two doors to choose from...get old...get dead. I chose the first one and am having a great time even though I'm not as spry as I used to be. Sigh.

So, after watching my little granddaughter, I ran home to teach one of my students. then grabbed a cab and went to Rena's and we fought the Jerusalem Day traffic and went out for dinner.

We had a lot to talk about. A lot to eat. A lot of fun. And at around 10:30 I shlepped my weary bones up the stairs and into the elevator and home at last.

Dorothy was right. There's no place like home.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

12 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I relate!!
Susan

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Pen of Jen said...

I am so glad that you had a great time!

I think it's great that we do get to the part of the line in life where we get to have a break.

I often look at those older and wonder if at my age did they see where they were headed?

I look forward to being Gramie to my grandchildren. (and having them say I love you...to me)

I love visiting with one older than me because it makes me appreciate that God did create us all the same. We all progress, God willing, to have a new perspective on the world, and for that I am so thankful.

I read your post for the same reason. I love your humor, writings and in general thoughts on this and that. It refreshes me to know that some day another will be interested in my thoughts. It certainly makes me try to be ever so thankful for today.

God bless you and thanks for a window into your life:)

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

theres no place like home..theres no place like home..theres no place like home!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Batya said...

What fun!
I usually babysit once a week.

Strange how I've gotten used to the empty house and empty-ish sinks, so when a kid comes, "there are so many dishes!"

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Portrait of Peter said...

Your postings are always so refreshing and a joy to read and I am so pleased the little one is much improved in health.

Thought I should let you know - here in Scotland, we have free Bus Passes for those in the senior citizens group!! They can travel anywhere in Scotland - and do!!

Have a wonderful evening and keep smiling

Peter

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

So true. Getting old sure beats the alternative!

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10:30 at night??? I would have turned into a munchkin . . . Israel version . . . whatever that is.

By the way, what is Israel's version of Sesame Street? I LOVE Sesame Street!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom susan...thanks!!!

jennifer...old is good...trust me...and thanks so much for visiting and enjoying my blog...means a lot


hahahah woman...you got it!!!

boker tov muse...we could be twins

shalom peter...you always make me feel so good...free bus tickets? i'm moving!!! you know how i feel about longing to get to scotland...sigh...one day

hiiii jungle mom...how are you doing...i agree i agree

tim!!! how good to see you...sesame street in israel is called rechov sumsum...sumsum are sesame seeds and rechov is street...i love it too...i guess we are still children inside...yahooooooooo

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Val said...

Great image... jabbering with a pacifier in mouth, but you hearing the "i love you"! ;)

Quiet is good... 'specially when everyone else is asleep!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Now, I am not sure, but I think I promised her the house and car and all my jewelry yesterday.I see my folks spoil my kids on a regular basis.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I have always loved the word "schlepped" when I 've heard it on T.V. Why do you suppose?

Thanks for another peek into your life!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

Sounds kinda of like my life...EVERY DAY! yahhooooo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home