Friday, June 29, 2007

SOME PEOPLE GO TO MUSEUMS

Some people go to Museums. Rena and I go to the supermarket. Don't laugh. Up and down the aisles, we check out what's new...what's on sale...what's different...and what looks good.

See, I don't know about you, but I'm always on a diet. I figure that I diet all year round just to stay at the weight I am now. Don't laugh. It is such a chore. I mean, round is a shape too isn't it???

Now I am doing Southbeach and trying to avoid white flour and sugar. Are white potatoes and rice the same as white flour? How about cream-of-wheat and oatmeal?

I say yes to all of the above and am now in my turkey neck and cabbage with crushed tomatoes and spices mode.

All that works really great until something happens and I go back to my first love, chocolate and yeast. When asked if I have a yeast infection I am known to reply 'Not this week, I'm dieting!'

But today we had an added treat. All of a sudden in the middle of breakfast...scrambled eggs/salad/5% cheese/no bread...sigh...in walked my son and his wife the parents of sweetsie tootsie and sweetsie girl. We all sat around and then we left the kids to finish their breakfast...shakshukah and a pineapple/banana something drink and off we went to our next favourite place on a Friday morning...the supermarket downstairs in the Mall.

Diet coke...sugarless chocolate...5% yellow cheese and I think that was about it for my shopping needs this time.

Isn't it fun to do absolutely nothing and have a great time?
SHAKSHUKA: basic recipe
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 green pepper, chopped
* 1 can crushed tomatoes or grate fresh ones
* oil
* 3/4 small tin tomato paste
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin...optiomal
* 1 hot pepper chopped or a pinch cayenne or chili powder (to taste)
* 6-8 eggs

Heat oil. Saute onion until golden, then add garlic. Add tomatoes and peppers. Cover pan and steam together for about 10 minutes until the liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens.

Add tomaoto paste, and spices. Cook covered 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Break whole eggs into sauce. Cover and cook until eggs are firm.

Serve 1 or 2 eggs per person with sauce.

Trust me this is gorgeous...best if the yolks are still runny. Eat with good bread. Oy the diet!!!

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Val said...

Cruisin' supermarkets???!! THAT's what I have to look forward to???!! I can't see me doing that!
Shabbat shalom.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Batya said...

oy, food
I finished my after 8's today
that's good--no more to eat
that's bad--I ate them

Shabbat Shalom!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like fun to me! Supermarkets that are TRULY "Super"....Yes! And I relate to having been on a diet most of your life....Boring, in many ways....But if you have a slkeepy metabolism...Well, Good Luck Marilyn....And,

THANKS SO MUCH for the Birthday Wishes...they are much appreciated, my dear....!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home