Friday, November 16, 2007

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A DOCTOR...

Ask me how my week went...DON'T ASK!!!
Here is a rundown. Grab your coffee as I tell you my tale.

Eight days ago I began to feel that something was brewing inside of me. You know that feeling. Throat starts to feel scratchy, etc. Well, I phoned my wonderful doctor and he told me that if it flared up over the weekend to begin taking antibiotics...moxypen 500 mgs three times a day.

No problem. I always have moxypen in the house...of course I do.

Saturday morning at five a.m. I couldn't breathe. Caught me in the throat. Now Friday and Saturday are no doctor days but there is always Magen David Adom ( our version of the Red Cross ) or the emergency rooms in any one of our four terrific hospitals, so I didn't panic.

But...by Sunday night when I couldn't breathe THAT'S when I started to panic. Whatever it was that I had triggered my asthma and I was in trouble.

I went to my husband...who is still sick with a terrible pneumonia and who, btw, I think infected me altogether...and told him to get up and drive me to our medical clinic near the shuk.

He did.

Now, of course you know it was pouring outside. Yahoo for the rain, but I could have waited for another day when I didn't have to shlep my poor bones outside. He parked the car and told me to let him know what was happening.

When I got to the fourth floor, I was next in line to see the doctor. Yahoo.

He took one look at me...listened to my heart and chest and immediately sent me to the nurse's station to be put on an inhalator. Yahoooooo, I could breathe again. Next came blood pressure/blood work/and a chest X-Ray. Ok. No problem.

In the meantime hubby went home and told me to call him. I didn't want him sitting out there in the rain either. Bad pneumonia remember?

So, now that I could breathe, I gaily went to the different stations to do the rest of the tests and then came back with everything to the doctor.

Dr: Hm, the blood work is not good.
Me: What's wrong with the blood work.
Dr: Not good.
Me: Is it dangerous?
Dr: Not good.

By that time I was getting a little nervous. But then I thought, 'Of course it isn't so great...I have some kind of terrible infection someplace that my body is waging war against.'

Dr: Something small in X-Ray.
Me: What?
Dr: The written results will be available tomorrow morning after ten a.m. Call your Dr. then. No, wait. I will call your doctor. No! Better still be at your doctor's tomorrow morning at ten.
Me: What's wrong? What do I have?
Dr: Your doctor will tell you in the morning.

And that my dear friends was all I could get out of him. So, knowing of course that I am dying, I phoned my husband to come get me and began mentally saying goodbye to everyone. What else could it be if I have to show up at my doctor's office in the morning without an appointment?

Needless to say I had a terrible night. Actually, I was simply beyond sad.

Seven-thirty in the morning, I phoned my doctor and his secretary (my great great great friend Joan) answered and listed to my panicy tale and got the doctor on the phone. He listened very carefully and said that it must be nothing maybe a touch of pneumonia and not to worry but to call him at ten.

I said, 'You know your Mama raised a nice kid?' He laughed.

Somehow, I made it till ten when I phoned back. Joan, by that time had recieved the printed readout of the X-Ray.

CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR AND PERFECT...HEART AND LUNGS!!!

So what the hell was that doctor talking about???

Once I realized that I had my life back again and was back among the living I started to cry. Of course I did.

I phoned Bubbie Channah and told her. This is what she said: 'Marallyn, just because he is a doctor do we know where he graduated in his class?'

Yeah, Bubbie Channah!

At first I thought of lodging a complaint about that doctor. But the truth is that except for scaring me to death, he changed my meds to brilliant stuff and took really good care of me in the clinic.

So, my adivice to any of you out there who might run into a new doctor at a clinic...don't ask him any questions. Just smile and say thank you and phone your doctor in the morning to get the results.

Thank you God...thank you God...thank you God.

Shabbat shalom. Don't get too close...the cough is really scary and hurts and I don't want to share this with any of you. OH. Upper Respiratory Infection plus asthma and sinus complications. My tray next to my bed looks like the pharmacy downtown. But who the hell cares...i CAN BREATHE...I CAN BREATHE!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

17 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Refuah Shleimah.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Thank God youre ok!..ya scared me kiddo..lol..Shabbat Shalom and visit more often eh!!..hugz!

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello dear Marallyn. So glad to hear you can breathe again! You had me worried there for a minute.

Don't be too hard on the new Doc. After all, there is a G-d who is also the Great Physician! It's not your time cause He isn't through with you yet. You've still got important things to do. G-d knows, we would miss you way too much!!! "Thank you G-d, for being merciful to our Marallyn".
Now get some rest and lots of fluids. Chicken soup!! Hope you feel better real soon.
Love ya,
Chavaleh

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steam therapy with eucalyptus or tea tree oil... what a mechayah!

Glad to hear all is well!

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you had to go through such an awful scare like that, but so glad you had a happy ending.

Have a good week! Hope you and your hubby are feeling better soon.

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turn my back on you for just ONE MINUTE, and what do you do?

You go off and ALMOSTDIE!

Where else am I going to find a good Yidishe Mama like you? Do you think they grow on trees?

oy

So, get better. Take your vitamins, and talk to me in the morning.

Your Yidishe son...

- John

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Avi said...

OMG that's terrible. I'll add you to my tefilla for refuah sheleima. Would you mind providing your hebrew name and your mother's?

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Again refush shelima. May you be up, well and free of cough soon!
It's awful when they don't tell you exactly what's going on. You worry and worry and there is such a build up til you know what is happening, that finally you cry in relief. It's not fair. They should teach these guys bed side manner. If they do, that one flunked the course !
Keep warm and rested dear friend.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Batya said...

Refuah Shleimah
You didn't sound that great on Thursday, and if that's an improvement...
I'll see you when you're healthy.
Drink freshly squeezed lemon in water, not hot. Twice a day. Maybe more.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

I think you sent it to me via a computer virus!!!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Goat said...

My prayers are being sent your way Marallyn, get well soon!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Okay, so it's the first time I have been checking out others' posts in like . . . forever. And I begin to read this!! I almost started to cry! Now cut that out!!

Hope you are feeling much better. Happy Thanksgiving . . . or any other Happy you wish to celebrate. :)

God bless,

Tim

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger torontopearl said...

Hope you're doing MUCH better. What a scare, indeed.

Refuah shlema to your entire household, Marallyn!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks jack...so nice to see you

shalom woman...i miss you...glad to hear from you

chavaleh don't even ask whata night i had and how very grateful i am that all was well

thanks kmelion...i will remember that...vey

thanks val...always wonderful to hear from you...hugs to you all

oy john what can i tell you...wanted to skype you but couldn't even talk...kisses my dear friend...thanks for being you

shalom bar kochba...miriam bat channah ittah...and bless you

lemon lime i always love hearing from you...thank you...this guy flunked bedside manner...vey

thanks muse...hope we can meet again soon...it's time

oy jungle...i hope i didn't ohoh

goat honey how are you??? thnks for dropping in!

hi tim...thanks so much for finding me and taking the time to write...come back soon

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom pearl...thank you sooooooooo much...hope all is well with you and yours

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

t&v i tried accessing your blog and it won't let me in...sorry

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

So sorry...hope you're better! Glad your REAL doctor came up to bat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home