Friday, January 23, 2009

JUST A SAD NOTE

Shalom. It has been much too long since I last blogged, but our Mom...Bubbie Channah got sick and I was spending all of my time taking care of her. The last week of November, she was admitted to Hadassah Hospital with...are you ready for this??? PEMPHIGUS VULGARIS!!! Google it...oyoyoyoyoy!!!

It is an awful disease and without massive doses of steroids no one survives. When the doctors started her treatment...100 mg of predisone a day...I asked if she would survive the cure. They said that they thought she would.

She fought bravely. It was a horrendous journey which she lost last Wednesday at 22:45. I went daily to the hospital and after a month, my brother David, joined me from Boulder, Colorado. It was terrible. Together we spent every day in the hospital. Together we watched our mother fight to conquer this disease. The doctors were still optimistic and after four weeks David left on a Friday to go home. Four days later our mother, Bubbie Channah passed away.

David came back and was here with me for the week of shiva...mourning. I could not have done it without him...without my husband...without my children...without my best friend Rena...and without the unconditional love and support of my family and friends.

Bubbie Channah is finally at peace. She was amazing. I am numb, sad, healing and still running to the phone to call her and tell her something.

To all of you who came to the hospital, to the shiva house, who phoned, who emailed...I will never forget you.

I am preparing an email to send to Hadassah New York telling them about the unbelievable care and love our mother got for eight weeks on the fifth floor of Hadassah Ein Kerem from absolutely everyone in the Dermatology Department. How they fought to save the life of an eighty-five year old woman is a story that needs to be told. I'm working on it now.

I'll write more soon.

Shabbat shalom.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

4 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger rakethetable said...

May God give you peace.

Missed your light but understand your absence.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Marallyn, I am so saddened at the news of Bubbie's passing. I will never forget her kindness towards me and the love she had for Michael, Maia and all her family. I feel truly blessed to have known her and will cherish all the Bubbie sweaters, hats, afghans, and scarves forever!
Take good care of yourself!
love you!
Katherine

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger CaraqueƱa said...

I'm so sorry...your relationship with your mom was precious, and it certainly came through in your writing! My condolences

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Geologychick said...

Praying for you and your family. take care!!!
***HUGS***

 

Post a Comment

<< Home