Saturday, November 01, 2008

JUST WONDERING

Have you ever fallen asleep in the afternoon and woken up a few hours later thinking it's tomorrow morning? And, what a feeling of relief, when you find out it isn't?

You have? Me too! As a matter of fact that just happened a half hour ago. See, I love shabbat. I love everything about shabbat. But the thing I love the MOST about shabbat is the little afternoon nap we all indulge in.

You don't have to be old...you don't have to be a little kid...everyone loves a little shloffie shabbat afternoon. Actually, I think it is a law.

It is finally cold enough now in Jerusalem that I had to pull down my feather comfortor...the big one. I love that blanket. Weighs nothing. Is a mountain tall. And warm...ahhhhhhhh. Sometimes, I even put a hot water bottle down under the blanket to get the sheets warm before I climb in.

Does it make me sound like some old biddy saying I have a hot water bottle? My friend Rena has an electric sheet. I tried that once, and as soon as my bones hit that heat I fell into a blissful sleep until I woke up sweating and thinking I'd been sent to Hell!

With a hot water bottle, if you get too hot and are sleeping because 'as soon as your bones...' you get it...well, you just push it away with a hand or foot and continue sleeping like a baby. Happy, warm, contented. Lovely.

Where was I? Oh. Lost between today and tomorrow.

There are moments when I wish it was tomorrow already. And even some moments when I wish it was yesterday. Those don't last long as I know if I go back in time I'll have to go through the bad as well as the good and I don't want to do that a second time. Nope...I'm betting on tomorrow.

Sixty-four has it's blessings. But you have to have a great sense of humour. It all happened because I love turkey necks. I love them in soup. I love them cooked. And I decided to try baking them in the oven. Came out gorgeous, but a little tough.

There I was biting and chewing and having one hell of a grand time when I felt something hard in my mouth. Thinking it was a piece of bone, I gingerly picked it out and upon examination I realized I'd popped out one of the teeth from my bottom partial. (There are no secrets between us, right?) Appalled, I ran to the mirror and sure enough...horrors of horrors...oy vey oy vey there was a hole in my mouth where the little tooth used to be.

I immediately called my cousin Sheldon the dentist who said I could come in the next day. I thought when you pulled teeth you were done...don't you believe it. Sigh. Well, I had made plans to go sleep over at my babies that night and tooth or no tooth I was going to the pajama party.

Sweetsie Tootsie, who is now six and in first grade...Did I tell you that the second day of school, he turned to the kid next to him and said, "I get it. It's boring here. I'm going home." And together those two pagromchiks picked themselves up, walked out of class, out of the school, out the school yard and crossed two big streets and walked home! The short version is, he won't do that again. :)

Back to my story. My daughter-in-law and the two babies came to pick me up and Sweetsie Tootsie, who has lost two bottom teeth already, took one look at me and said, "Bubbie! Did the Tooth Fairy give you twenty shekels too?"

Wouldn't it be nice if it was that simple?

OK. Godda run. Big Brother, Israeli version is on soon. I know, I know, but I'm hooked. Pitiful isn't it? Hope I don't fall asleep as soon as my tush hits the blanket.

Shavuah tov!!!

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home