Tuesday, March 20, 2007

MAZAL TOV!!!

Sunday my cousin Frummie married Chanan. Mazal tov! And what a wonderful evening we all had. Bubbie Channah and I got all gussied up in long skirts and matching tops and hats.

Yes, it was a religious wedding. The groom's family originally came from Persia/Iran but have been in Israel for I don't know how many generations. They are educators and teachers and what a lovely, lovely family.

The bride's family come from the States and moved here to Jerusalem 12-15 years ago. My first family in Israel. What a huge joy that was...having relatives in the city after being alone here for so long.

It wasn't exactly a shiddach (a match made by a matchmaker) but the groom's mother knew someone who knew the bride's grandmother and thought the children should meet. They did. They fell in love. And today they are an old married couple of a day and a half.

I love religious weddings. I love them. They are the happiest, most joyous events I have ever been to. The children take over the wedding. Let me tell you how it goes.

Men and women are separated after the ceremony by a mehitzah...folding accordion like doors. As soon as the music starts all the friends of the bride and groom get up and start dancing and all I know is that it is so infectious that us old guys can't resist joining in.

A little stop for food and then back dancing! Woo-hoo!

I saw two new things at this wedding. All our wedding ceremonies are held under a chuppah...a canopy. But here they opened up a tallis and covered the rabbis and the bride and goom as well as standing under the origional chuppah. Nice.

Then at one point we snuck a look at the men's side. It's ok. We were the old timers and I don't think we distracted them at all at all. Sigh. Now, in the good old days...but where was I?

I never saw men dance like that. At that point the bride was brought into the men's side and was sitting with her groom and the men danced for the couple. It was amazing. Then two men took off their coats and in their shirt sleeves they began swinging fire! Little cups held by chains, one in each hand. The two men swung them and danced and weaved with the fire swirling. It was awsome.

One of the ladies standing next to me whispered that her own son knows how to swirl fire and does that at weddings too. Wow!

By a quarter to twelve, I decided Bubbie Channah and I had had enough excitement for one night.

I forgot to tell you. I fell in love. The bride's sister's new baby is now four months old. Tfu tfu tfu! One look and you have to love him, kiss him, and hug him and and and...

So, I think I'm going to go back to knitting. I told you that when my son was stationed in Shchem...Nablus during the last intifada I started to crazy knit. I got Bubbie Channah and we made 150 baby sweaters!!! Since then I haven't been able to pick up a pair of needles. But this little baby has my fingers itching to make him beautiful stuff.

Love! Funny how it makes you smile.

Mazal tov to the new couple. May they have a lifetime of joy together. And their families should only know simchas. As for the little baby...he's set cuz there isn't a person in the universe who won't love him...tfu tfu tfu.

Have a great day...stay safe...and thanks for dropping in.

11 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for painting a delightful picture of the wedding for us with your words.

So you're ready to knit again. Good.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Perez said...

Oh that sounded like a wonderful time. I have never been to a Jewish wedding. And that dancing with fire, how on earth could you go to sleep?! That sounds wonderful to watch and a ton of fun!

A 150 sweaters? That is cool. Who did you have them for? I know what you mean when something just makes you want to knit or crochet.

Take care in Jerusalem
-perez

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy to have found you on my sister's blog! (Rita @ Jungle Hut)I linked here from a comment you left for her. The wedding sounds delightful and so entertaining. I love how you interjected *new words* in your post for us to learn and become familiar with! And as far as the baby goes...oh they are the best things aren't they?

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OOPS! I made a boo-boo. I actually linked here from "Pen of Jen". I just ahd to clear that up!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom penless...yup got the knitting bug again...computer during the day and tv and knitting at night...never a dull moment...thanks my friend for your kind words and for dropping in.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks my dear perez...i knitted the baby sweaters for my friends' grandchildren...and then any time i needed a gift i had one...now i'm off and knitting again...yahooooo...ps the wedding was wonderful

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

hiiiiiiii pam...thanks so much for dropping in...isn't htis fun??? have a great day

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Yekwana Man said...

I loved the description of the wedding! I love to learn from other cultures! I always say, "If I were not American I would want to be Israeli."

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mazel tov to the wedding couple and families and a special thought of happiness and love to the bride's parents in this time of beautiful celebration.
"D"

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

shalom yekwana man...thanks for dropping in...weddings and all happy occasions are just what we need, don't you think???

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

thanks d...hope you have a great weekend and thanks for dropping in

 

Post a Comment

<< Home